Old 10-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
rusty1414
Casting On

what does C4F mean
Also, In Brackets I have (k1, yo, k1) in next st.???
and last is 4-st RC. I know this has to do with a cable but am confused on what is it a 4 st plus 4 st cable or 2 st plus 2 st?????
rusty1414 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Your pattern may tell you somewhere what they mean by the different abbreviations. In my experience a C4F means a cable cross involving 4 stitches that holds the yarn in the front as you work. So you'd move 2sts to a cable needle, hold them in front, knit 2 then k2 from the cable needle.

Quote:
(k1, yo, k1) in next st.
You are going to do what is inside the parenthesis into the next stitch. So knit it, but don't take it off the left needle, bring the yarn to the front (the yarn over) and then from there knit the stitch again, now let it off the left needle. You have made 3 stitches out of the 1, increasing 2.

Quote:
4-st RC
I'm not sure. The C4F was a left cross, so if they wanted a right cross I don't know why they wouldn't have called it a C4B, as that makes a right cross, but maybe that is what they want. That would be move 2 to cable needle, knit 2 holding in back, knit the 2 from the cable needle.

But again they may tell you somewhere what they mean. If it is a book there may be a key somewhere, or a website, same thing.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
rusty1414
Casting On

Originally Posted by MerigoldinWA View Post
Your pattern may tell you somewhere what they mean by the different abbreviations. In my experience a C4F means a cable cross involving 4 stitches that holds the yarn in the front as you work. So you'd move 2sts to a cable needle, hold them in front, knit 2 then k2 from the cable needle.

You are going to do what is inside the parenthesis into the next stitch. So knit it, but don't take it off the left needle, bring the yarn to the front (the yarn over) and then from there knit the stitch again, now let it off the left needle. You have made 3 stitches out of the 1, increasing 2.

I'm not sure. The C4F was a left cross, so if they wanted a right cross I don't know why they wouldn't have called it a C4B, as that makes a right cross, but maybe that is what they want. That would be move 2 to cable needle, knit 2 holding in back, knit the 2 from the cable needle.

But again they may tell you somewhere what they mean. If it is a book there may be a key somewhere, or a website, same thing.
I wish I could refer to the pattern book. It was a pattern copied from co-workers mag. and I don't have it available to me now.
I thank you and this site for the wonderful help.
rusty1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
Usually when something indicates the cable front or back the number in the listing indicates the total number of stitches involved in creating the cable. So a C4F means that 4 stitches are going to be involved in that cable. So you will slip two to the cable needle, move to the front, knit the next two stiches, then knit two from the cable needle. So in total 4 stitches were used, but only 2 were placed on the cable needle.

This used to confuse the crap out of me when I first started cables as well. If you're feeling daring, search online to find how to do cables without a cable needle. It's scary at first, but makes your knitting go much faster once you get the hang of it.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote