Old 10-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
milijana
Casting On

insecure gauge
good day,

I have a problem with the starting of a sweater. namely, I check gauge, calculate the width and start to knit, but when, after a while, I take a centimeter in hand, I see that this is not the width.
then I check the gauge and I realize that he has changed!
how? and how do I know that the gauge is correct?
I have to mention that the old yarn I use an earlier thread of a sweater. whether that is a new yarn became too old to gauge the impact?
I am really desperate!

Milijana.
milijana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to milijana For This Useful Post:
dyncdoony (11-08-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
That can happen. Sometimes people knit tighter when they're stressed, like trying to match gauge, and then relax when they knit the larger item. Best thing to do is knit a very large gauge square and also check as you knit the sweater that it's still the same.

Also, if the sweater is knit in the round, the swatch should be as well. Sometimes people start with a sleeve as the gauge sample as it's a little larger piece in the same pattern so it can be more accurate.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
milijana
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
That can happen. Sometimes people knit tighter when they're stressed, like trying to match gauge, and then relax when they knit the larger item. Best thing to do is knit a very large gauge square and also check as you knit the sweater that it's still the same.

Also, if the sweater is knit in the round, the swatch should be as well. Sometimes people start with a sleeve as the gauge sample as it's a little larger piece in the same pattern so it can be more accurate.
Yes, but only that it happened to me the other way around: it turns out that a wider gauge than the knitted sweater.
nothing, unfolds for the third time, but I will always be measured and checked.
thank you very much!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
milijana
Casting On

Yes, but only that it happened to me the other way around: it turns out that a wider gauge than the knitted sweater.
nothing, unfolds for the third time, but I will always be measured and checked.
thank you very much!