Old 10-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Katiecsteiner
Casting On

How do I knit letters into garter stitch?
Hi - I'm a beginner knitter, and I'm ambitiously attempting to knit a lower-case "k" into a project in garter stitch and I'm having trouble.

The problem is that when I need to pick up the color I'm knitting the letter in, the yarn is not where I need it to be. Does this mean I need to start knitting with an entirely new thread? Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial/video that can help me?

Thanks so much!
-Katie
Katiecsteiner is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,836 Posts
It may mean that you need to carry the yarn across the back of some sts. You could look at the Free Video, Advanced Techs on Stranded or Fair Isle knitting. If you don't want to carry the yarn across like that, you might consider doing duplicate st to make the letter, depending on how large it is. Here is a how-to for duplicate on garter st.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote