Old 02-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
redbedhead
Ribbing the Cuff

dog sweater pattern, and knitting on narcotics
Hi I have not been on for a while. I had MAJOR Surgery on January 19th (2nd of 4 joint replacements.) And have found that knitting while taking Narcotic pain killers results in a great deal of Frogging! my baby blanket had all kinds of holes and the sides were VERY Wavey (Add 5 stitches here, drop 20 stitches there). So of course I spent most of the morning frogging it back to where I was before the surgery!
I DO NOT Recomend trying to knit while taking oxycontin and morphine every 4 hours for surgical pain and recovery. Think of this as your friendly public service announcement.
Now on to my knitting question. Where can I find a free pattern easy pattern for a sweater for a dachshound? I admit that I have not started looking yet. I will look on ravelry in a few minutes.
redbedhead is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Here's a pattern which relies on dog measurements. It may work out for you. I had trouble trying to knit a dog sweater for our Welsh Corgi. I couldn't find any online. We have the same problem with the long hot dog body and the short legs. I realized that I had made this more complicated than it needed to be. Ignoring the stubby little legs, our dog is a medium size. I believe dachshunds are small size dogs. Look for a small size dog pattern. The only adjustment you might need to make is to knit it a little longer. The neck and chest shaping should be about right on these patterns. I knit my dog's sweater in all rib to accommodate the deep barrel chest and give a flexible fit.

Good luck trying to keep it on him. lol I had to coax Ein (short for Einstein) out from under the bed with a dog treat to get the sweater on him. He hates the sweater and always wriggles out of it.

http://www.redlipstick.net/knit/chihswe.html
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoldladyinpjs For This Useful Post:
redbedhead (02-08-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,994 Times in 2,509 Posts
Your knitting on narcotics title made this thread a must read! I hope you're doing OK and not needing the drugs anymore.

For something as easy as a dog sweater, it sure can be hard to get going with something that will work! For chihuahuas, I ended up knitting mitts with 2 thumb openings. Anyhow, maybe this link will help. http://www.talkingtails.com/sweater.html

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
redbedhead (02-08-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,289 Times in 2,976 Posts
Yes, I'll bet knitting on narcotics is an experience. Hope all is going well now. I found a page of patterns for dogs including a dachshund. Itís knitting pattern. Rav will certainly have more.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
redbedhead (02-08-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
Cee
Casting On

Seems frogging is a new word for me but nevertheless did a bit of that this morning lol, without the drugs!

Hope you're feeling better real soon xxx
Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cee For This Useful Post:
redbedhead (02-08-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
loveknittingbeginner
Casting On

I just bought on Amazon this book and I love it. I already knit 2 sweaters.

http://www.amazon.com/Stylish-Knits-...8233987&sr=8-1
loveknittingbeginner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loveknittingbeginner For This Useful Post:
fatoldladyinpjs (02-02-2012), redbedhead (02-08-2012)