Old 11-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,697 Posts
Cool link, WW, thanks.

Sewing? I have to get busy on that, the GKs expect their Christmas PJs from me. I think while I have the sewing machine out I should do some mending, make some shopping bags, and a few other things. The problem with sewing is it's not so easy to stay warm while I do it.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #12
MrsPilgrim
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
MP: Cleaning out the clutter has been happening slowly around here, but I need to speed it up and get things GONE! It's helped that for the last two years, I've told family and friends that I don't need anything for Christmas, so please don't buy me a gift!! What hasn't helped is when I start setting things out to give away and my husband says, "You're going to get rid of THAT? We might need it someday!" Ha!! And he's the one always complaining about the clutter around here!
I hear you Antares, my hubby does the same but this year I think hes getting just a sick of it as I am. *I say this with hope, Skyrim, a computer game comes out in a few days, hes been counting down for months* .He got a new gaming laptop a couple of weeks ago, we only had one computer (I accidently knocked a drink over his a couple of years ago ) His getting a new lappy gave me a computer again and motivated him to clean up ..............HELLS CORNER *must say in deep dark menacing voice*. hells corner is a corner of the lounge filled with boxes of paper work, dust caked computer bits (including old broken computer), his working desktop computer which was hardly cleaned in the two years he had been using it, nor was his desk. I refused to go near hells corner, as far as Im concerned thats his mess and it was just too daunting to organise all his crap and clean underneath it all. Well hells corner is now pristine clean, walls bleached, dust all gone, clutter removed (well moved to another part of the house) and now its my corner, he can take his lappy anywhere. He does still have to take care of that 'moved clutter' though, our deadline is this weekend.

I got 3/4 of my walk in robe done yesterday, a garbage bag full of stuff, a box of childrens books for the op shop, and both of my sons memorable bits tucked away neatly in bags for a day when they want to rummage and remember. Today is national day off day because tomorrow I'm tackling the bigest baddest room yet, "THE DEEEEP DAAARK PIT OF GRIMM, MANY HAVE STUMBLED IN AND NEVER BEEN SEEN AGAIN *thats that deep dark menacing voice again.
MrsPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #13
MrsPilgrim
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Cool link, WW, thanks.

Sewing? I have to get busy on that, the GKs expect their Christmas PJs from me. I think while I have the sewing machine out I should do some mending, make some shopping bags, and a few other things. The problem with sewing is it's not so easy to stay warm while I do it.
Ooh sewing, now thats what I want to learn how to do for summer months, Im coming into summer now and enjoying my knitting but I do want to learn how to sew my own clothes. GG you know we sound of similar shape, up top at least (Im a big girl all over, hips the same as the bust), I cant buy a blouse unless its a tent or my assests our left out for all the world to see. I prefer skirts to pants but finding a nice A line knee length skirt in my size is a stuggle too. I hate clothing shopping more that cleaning my bathroom and clothing styles are either 'street walker' or 'lets hide her under this massive shroud cloth'.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #14
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,697 Posts
MP, shopping? Speaking of horrible, nightmarish experiences.... I don't know who they are making clothes for these days, certainly not me. I can't find anything that doesn't fit too tight here and too loose there, gaps open, or has a design that doesn't work with narrow shoulders and too abundant natural assests. My problem with sewing for me is fitting things. I sewed for my DD for years because she could find nothing that fit. She was a very big girl before weight loss surgery but she went to all the school dances in dresses other girls envied. It's no fun being put together out of mismatched parts.

I just realized my aversion to being tied to patterns is at least partly because I've never had experience using clothing patterns that didn't have to be remade to work. Knitting a sweater to fit is IMHO probably easier than remaking a sewing pattern.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
MrsPilgrim (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #15
MrsPilgrim
Ribbing the Cuff

Ah well thats interesting, I thought it might be easier, well you know what thought did....

I'll have sqiz out on the www and see if I can find some plus size friendly sewing tutorials. I havent got a sewing machine and my experience is limited to an apron in highschool, but I can slowly save and buy a second hand machine if I'm inspired enough.

Living in this hot climate 6 months of the year definately calls for non knitted clothing, so for practicality I definately want to learn, and I love a good challenge.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #16
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

WELL, all you gals, I 'used' to sew when I could buy a great pattern, say Vogue, size 10 (equating to about a size 8 in ready made), and did not have to alter a thing. Yeah. Now, I really don't want to sew for something that resembles a knockwurst. Guess that is why I took up knitting again. Ready to wear is mostly made for sticks and bones so shopping, well, who needs it. Just click away at the needles. As an old friend of ours used to say, "age doesn't enhance ones looks." Little did I know back then.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #17
MrsPilgrim
Ribbing the Cuff

Well I had a squiz on the net yesterday and theres plenty for a beginner to learn from and I also found this plus size sewer has a few videos on youtube (links at top of page). Her style is pretty out there in material choice but I like that 50's look and shes seems to have the techniques down pat to alter patterns to suit her figure..... gives me a little hope.

http://sew-misunderstood.blogspot.com/

Now all I need is the sewing machine
Old 11-09-2011, 03:18 AM   #18
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Feeling brave is NOT in my vocabulary! And doing something if I ever feel brave turns me into Pooh's friend Piglet. I just find a way to get done what needs doing, or what I want to get done. Thats about as brave as I get, sorry to say.

Kudos for knitting without a pattern GG! Like so many others, I just can't call you Grumpy...

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote