Old 11-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
2.3 Gingerbread Software Update: Android phones
Has anyone else updated their Android phone to the latest 2.3 Gingerbread OS? It will be pushed to your phone from the manufacturer of your phone, for example, my Droidx is a Motorola phone. Motorola sends the software updates, little by little, to the select phones they wish.

If you have updated from the former 2.2 Froyo to the 2.3 Gingerbread...let me ask you...are you having problems with your phone now?

I am.

1) my installed browser crashes unexpectedly, for no known reason, no rhyme or reason...and it's especially vexing when you've spent 10 minutes typing out a forum post

2) my SWYPE (keyboard input option) crashes

3) a messaging folder in FILES crashes

4) my picture texting is corrupted

I called Verizon, they handed me off to Motorola, putting the blame on Motorola for sending out the 'update'.

Motorola's only FIX for my phone would be a complete WIPE of the phone, reformatting it to 'out-of-the-box' state in which it arrived.

If you know what a reformat is like with your computer, then you know what a PITA it is. Not hard, not impossible...but very time-consuming.

Over in the Ravelry Android Group, this snafu (re: 2.3 Gingerbread software update being overlaid on top of the 2.2 Froyo OS) is being discussed.

I have not as yet WIPED my phone.

One lady said that whenever a very HUGE, COMPLEX software update is pushed to an existing OS, there can be areas that don't quite sync, or fit. Round pegs in square holes.

I am very peeved because up until this software update, my Droidx was a perfectly-working-no-bugs smartphone! All of my Droidx friends are experiencing bugs with the 2.3 Gingerbread software update, too. Different bugs, but bugs all the same. Especially navigation, texting, browser, swype.

And the sad thing is...the 2.3 Gingerbread isn't all that! It was not worth the trouble. And there are several features that I NOT LIKE.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,806 Times in 7,165 Posts
I sent this info to my daughter. She and her boyfriend have new android phones.. The have the new Samsung Galaxy S2.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Their new phones might come with 2.2 Froyo, or with 2.3 Gingerbread...but I'm thinking...2.2 Froyo...then the manufacturer pushed the updated software to the phones when they feel like it.

I looked online at Verizon...looking at all sorts of android phones available...and I didn't see one phone with the 2.3 Gingerbread pre-installed. I didn't look at ALL the phones...but just the ones I had interest in.

It's worth your daughter and her SO knowing about the issues that can arise when one OS is layed on top of a pre-existing one.

It's supposed to be a software UPDATE. It didn't say it was a totally new thing. I wish I had never been duped into downloading and installing it.

It's crossed my mind...maybe it's a plot to ruin older android models so that you'll upgrade to the latest piece of candy. The old Conspiracy Theory!

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
MrsPilgrim
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for the heads up ArtLady, I have a Samsung GS2 and after hearing your nightmare will not be getting the gingerbread software at all, my OH suggested I try it but maybe he hasnt updated his, Ill tell him to remove his aswell. Im sorry I couldnt give you work around. As far as I know the only way to stop getting those kind of push messages is to ermm, hack it, but thats no easy task unless you know what your doing, Motorola shouldnt be sending you crap updates as it is.
MrsPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I have the original Samsung Galaxy S phone (Epic 4G) and I got the push for Gingerbread yesterday. It ended up causing a continuous reboot and the only way I could get out of it was to pull the battery and reset the phone to it's factory settings.

It's a pain putting it back together, but I'm managing. I have been having problems with my phone -- slow reacting, frequently locking up, random blank screens, lower battery life, flaky wi-fi -- and so far, all of these seemed to have been cleared up. Having to reinstall my apps seems minor compared to not having those other problems anymore.

I'm loving my phone again -- after spending the last month wishing I was eligible for an upgrade.

I'm sorry you're having problems, ArtLady.

After reading your post, I'm glad that I had to reset the entire phone if that made the install cleaner. I'm using this as an opportunity to clean up my phone and rearrange the way I had my apps and to not download ones that were only cluttering my screens.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanks for your encouraging post! Yes, I've decided to reset my phone, too. The most aggravating part out of my 'issues' is the browser crashing on me! Imagine, typing out an entire message on KH or Rav...and then before you click SEND or POST...the daggone browser crashes, and POOF goes all your hard work. Especially if you had included photos or links! Bah!

My friend has the Droidx, too, and he said it only took him something like 30-45 minutes to do the whole shamoley! He lost some paid-for apps. But that was the entire sum of the loss.

I think Motorola should pay us for the lost apps! What???!!! Yeah, that'll happen....

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

Could you restore it back to were it was prior to the download just like you can do to your home computer ot laptop?

I know nothing about these new phones, but if it is like a computer then I'm guessing that maybe you can do a restore. Won't hurt to ask.
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Well, from what I've heard and read...the RESET will wipe the phone clean, restoring it to factory out-of-the-box.

I know what you are speaking about though...how we can set a restore point on our computers, and simply restore the computer to a certain point in time, like "before June 2" or "before 2.3 download". But you can't set restore points on your smartphone. It isn't that smart!

Good idea though! I wish....

It's a funny thing...after my friend RESET his Droidx...his OS is the 2.3 Gingerbread still....whereas the phone came with 2.2 Froyo OS. That's strange. "Factory" would imply the OS that came WITH and installed on the phone.

Something I miss....with the 2.2 Froyo...when your phone rang...if you turned it over on its face, it would silence the phone. With the 2.3 Gingerbread OS, that feature is gone. Bah!

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

You are not supposed to lose paid apps -- the Market keeps track of those for you -- unless they are no longer available in the Android Market. I have one paid app and showed up automatically when I checked "My Apps" in the Market. All my free ones are sort of lost.

I used to use AppBrain to sync my apps, but I was having problems with it on my phone and have been using the Amazon appstore more often. I haven't reinstalled AppBrain and am thinking I may not bother. Instead I have been searching for any apps I want to reinstall through Amazon and saving them that way. (If they weren't already ones in my Amazon account.)

Since it's a phone -- updated frequently, subject to loss and breakage, etc -- I personally don't spend a lot of time trying to preserve what's on it. The important things -- pictures, emails, contacts, etc -- I have sync'd online or backed up onto the memory card.

As far as I know, there is not a way to save the settings.

I think "factory reset" just resets the phone to the original settings of the OS that you have installed, without any extra features, bells, or whistles beyond what the manufacturer tacked on. I hadn't considered that before, but I think it does erase what was there before and if you want to go back, you have to find and download the install file for the other OS yourself.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote