View Poll Results: How do you feel about twisted yarn with knitting with two strands held together?
I have this problem and have not figured out a solution. We are stuck with twisted yarn. 1 11.11%
I don't care if my yarn is twisted, I just keep on keepin' on! 5 55.56%
I avoid projects with two strands held together because of this twisted-ness. 0 0%
I can help! You simply _______. (fill in the blank) 3 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2011, 12:03 AM   #1
crystalirwin
Casting On

Keep yarn from twisting while knitting two strands from two skeins held together
Any ideas appreciated!

I'm knitting an afghan with two strands held together. The yarn from the two skeins twists and it's driving me crazy! I have tried...

*using a ball winder on each skein individually
*using a ball winder for the two skeins together
*using yarn straight from the skein without winding
*taking working yarn from the inside of the winded yarn
*taking working yarn from the outside of the winded yarn

Help! I feel like I'm spending only half my time knitting and the other half of my time un-twisting the yarn.

p.s. I tried to just knit with it twisted and ignore it, but I can't. I just can't do it.

Suggestions? Experience? Hope???
crystalirwin is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-15-2011, 05:07 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,285 Times in 2,972 Posts
I use center pull balls to minimize the rolling around and tangling. You might also try putting each ball into a container (bowl, box or bag) to minimize tangles. I don't worry about the yarns twisting around each other however.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Trying to the keep the yarn from twisting in the sts is futile, and it won't look bad at all when you're finished. Keeping the 2 separate strands from tangling together as you're knitting is helped by putting each one into a separate container, or one on either side of you. Keep the balls separate, don't wind them together.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

I don't have any advice/help at all -- mostly because the same exact thing happens to me. Although I don't care about the twisting while I'm knitting, that doesn't bother me.

What REALLY bothers me is trying to UNtwist the 2 strands and wind them up seperately! (if I need to start over) That's almost IMPOSSIBLE!!

Hope you find the help you need!!!
knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
crystalirwin
Casting On

Thanks y'all. I think I need to just get over the yarn being twisted. I tried it for a couple rows a while back in my project, and it didn't look bad or different, it just bugs me. Thanks again, happy knitting!
crystalirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
nflood40
Casting On

need some help !!!
what does 3\ mean in knitting pattern?

Thanks!!!
nflood40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
That looks like a chart symbol, and could mean k3togtbl or sssk, or something entirely different.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
Olha
Turning the Heel

I tried carring one yarn in one hand, and another in the other hand and knit in both continental and English styles. But I had to learn English style and my tension was too tight but the loops too big

Then I tried carring two yarns in one hand, one over index finger, one over middle, and it worked better. It is still a little awkward but not as annoying as twisted yarns
Old 11-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Originally Posted by crystalirwin View Post
Any ideas appreciated!
I'm knitting an afghan with two strands held together. The yarn from the two skeins twists and it's driving me crazy! I have tried...
I believe the twisting happens because of how the project is handled at the end of every row.

When it's time to start a new row, if I always flip it around the same way each time, the yarn will twist tighter and tighter each row.

So, to avoid this problem, I flip it around in the other direction occasionally.

Hope this helps!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
ottomedic51 (12-07-2011)