Old 11-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
Lchilton
Casting On

Backwards
I'm new to knitting but loving it! Tonight when I was knitting tho it suddenly seemed I was knitting backwards, like the yarn I was grabbing was slanting in the wrong direction. It seemed I was really having to fight to grab a piece of yarn because of this. Is that possible or is it just in my head?
Lchilton is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
It sounds like you may have twisted your stitches when you worked them on the previous row.

Make sure that you're inserting your needle correctly and wrapping your yarn correctly.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
Lchilton
Casting On

So is there a way to fix this
Old 11-14-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

Are you fighting with your needles? I was, the other day. I had #7 x 16" bamboo needles, and I had to fight for *every* stitch. I finally had absolutely HAD IT UP TO HERE! with those needles and replaced them with sharp-pointed #7s (metal!) and now I've almost completed the 2x2 ribbing for tomorrow night's class.

But, yes, while I was still fighting with the bamboo needles, the yarn seemed to be going every which way but the right way. I lost soooo much time with those !@#$^&$%# needles.

Could this be part of the problem?

DCM
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:54 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
If you have a row of twisted stitches, you can correct that row by knitting through the back loop, and start correctly on the next row.

However, if you've twisted more than just the row you've corrected, those stitches will look different if you're working in stockinette. If you're working garter stitch--knit every row-- then I don't think the twisted stitches will show.

If you've worked the entire thing in twisted stitches in stockinette, you could continue working them twisted for the rest of the project and call it a design. A pain-in-the-butt design to work, maybe, but it will be consistent.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #6
Lchilton
Casting On

I don't think the needles are the problem because I have 54 rows done and it's just these last few that have felt that way! I know it's probably in my head! I was tired and should have put it down! Plus while I was knitting I was helping my daughter fix some on her knitting project:-(
Old 11-15-2011, 01:45 AM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
It does sound like twisted stitches. You can knit through the back loop to correct a few or even a whole row. If you've done multiple rows then you may have to rip it out to the point they aren't twisted or rip the whole thing. Check the videos for how to do the knit stitch so you can make sure you're knitting through the front of the stitch and wrapping it correctly.

The interesting thing is there actually are times when a pattern calls for twisting a stitch so it's good to know what they look like and how to do them.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:03 AM   #8
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

Yeah, go with Jan in CA's analysis if it's not the needles.... *sorry*!

DCM
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Look at both the knit and purl videos but watch how you wrap. If you wrap the purls backwards, then knitting into the front leg is what's twisting them. Just knit or purl into the leg closest to the tip of the needle however you wrap the stitches, and that leaves them untwisted.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
Lchilton
Casting On

Backwards
Well you were all correct! Of course! Being the beginning knitter that I am I had started wrapping my yarn around the wrong direction when I was purling! I did what some of you suggested and went back to watch the videos and sure enough found where I was making my mistake! But I learned something from it so not all is lost! I had to tear back about 10 rows:-( for a beginner that hurts! Thanks for your help!