Old 11-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
TIP OF THE DAY!
I'm going to be starting another cardigan soon, the EADON, which has lots of K3-P2 ribbing throughout the body.

Plus, I am currently knitting another HALLETT'S LEDGE, in blue this time, which has a lot of K3-P3 ribbing for the bottom half of the cardigan.

Here's something that has always IRKED ME about miles of ribbing like this: the last knit stitch (in the KNITS COLUMN) that sits right next to the PURL COLUMN tends to be too big. Misshapen. I'm forever using a tapestry needle to tweak it...to coax the extra yarn out of it and onto the other knits sitting beside it. Those of you who are also OCD knitters like me...you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, in reading others notes for the EADON, I stumbled upon a gal who read about a CURE for this!

Here is what she wrote in her notes for the EADON:
“I am also using this pattern as an opportunity to try a technique I read about recently: When switching from knit to purl: the first purl is wrapped clockwise rather than counter and it really does the trick to give a uniform stitch size on the edge of the SS columns! That stitch will straddle the needle backwards, so you need to pay attention and treat it appropriately on the flip side.”

I knew immediately what she was talking about!

Here is a diagram/summary of the issue:
The knit stitch just before the purl stitch in K3-P2 ribbing is always a little off, a little biggish. PP-KKK-PP-KKK-PP-KKK (the bolded K is the knit stitch that seems to come out kinda biggish, loose-ish!)\

Anyway, I used the technique for my blue HALLETT'S LEDGE, and it worked!!!

Oh, BTW, where she says: "...That stitch will straddle the needle backwards, so you need to pay attention and treat it appropriately on the flip side."....what she means is the stitch will be turned around....and what you do is knit it tbl to "right the stitch" as it goes onto the right needle.

Anyway, here is my HALLETT'S LEDGE progress. See those miles and miles of K3-P3 ribbing for the 'skirt' of the cardigan??

BTW: the T-pins are marking where I made my decreases in the purl ditch, reducing the P3 to P2 for the side shaping, a modification that I developed to make an invisible decreases path.

This photo is BEFORE blocking of course, and I'm already happy with my K3 columns! What a great tip to stumble upon in that girl's notes!

It pays to read all the notes that others have posted over at Rav before you cast on for your project. You can learn the neatest things from other knitters!

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 11-17-2011 at 03:34 PM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (11-20-2011)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I was just reading several solutions to this problem, none as neat as this one.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,796 Times in 7,157 Posts
Yup, that works fabulous. Here's what I wrote about it clear back in 2007! My comments were for knitting in the round specifically, but I link to another old post that uses the technique for flat knitting.
http://knittingandmore.blogspot.com/

Beautiful sweater btw! Can't wait to see it done! I think I'm going to make another Circumnavigated Cardigan..I"m not as stylish as you.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Antares
Working the Gusset

I guess reading knitting notes is just not my thing. When I have a problem, I'll go looking for a solution (if I think there is one).

And this is an instance when I thought the problem was just my crummy knitting. Although the other stuff I've knitted seems to come out fairly even, my ribbing never has (no matter what combination of stitches I've used). To make this less obvious, on one recent garment I decided to use a more decorative rib stitch where the stitches naturally curve and the ribbing has holes in it. This at least partially detracts from the wonky stitches. I suppose if I get desperate, I'll switch to this other method . . . if I can keep things straight, that is!!

Thanks for posting.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Jan, the Ravelry knitter's EADON notes (blue ink in post 1) prolly referred to nonnaknits notes, the knitter you linked in your blog!

What nonnaknits wrote is exactly what the Ravelry knitter referred to, and is exactly what I've been doing on my blue sweater! I appreciated nonna's explanation why the knit stitch just preceding the purl stitch becomes messy or loose!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
Quote:
And this is an instance when I thought the problem was just my crummy knitting
I'm not the only one!!!! So far when I've found a solution to a problem, it also meant recognizing the problem. That's why I love these forums, so much to learn, so much experience to call upon.

I hope when I need to know this tip, I actually remember there is a way to do it. Thanks, ArtLady. I love the photos you post too.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
aprilbetty
Knitting the Flap

Thanks for the wonderful tip, ArtLady.
aprilbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Thanks for the tip! Always on the lookout for something new!

Just asking a nosy newbie question here about tightening up ribbing: I saw a video where the knitter knitted all of her knit stitches through the back loop, and purled as normal to tighten up the rib. She was working in the round though, would the same apply while knitting flat?

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:27 AM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,796 Times in 7,157 Posts
Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte View Post
Thanks for the tip! Always on the lookout for something new!

Just asking a nosy newbie question here about tightening up ribbing: I saw a video where the knitter knitted all of her knit stitches through the back loop, and purled as normal to tighten up the rib. She was working in the round though, would the same apply while knitting flat?
These posts were about tightening the ribbing. If you look at mine you'll see that I gave a link to my old blog that does have info for knitting in the round and there is a link on mine as well to instructions for doing it flat.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
Woodi
Turning the Heel

Great-looking sweater Artlady! Thank you for sharing. I like k2p2 or 3's ribbing for scarves.

but I'm not sure i understand how to wrap a purl stitch clockwise rather than counter-clockwise. Does it mean that you leave the yarn at back of needle, as if you're going to knit? or do you actually wrap the yarn around the right needle somehow.

<sorry if this is a dumb question>

Now on a slightly concerned note, I have to tell you that I once owned a sweater with big ribs like this over the belly, and it made my belly look twice as big as it was (and I was much thinner back then)....so you might want to figure that before completing the entire sweater only to find out that it makes your belly look enormous (even if it isn't).
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote