Old 12-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
nhsavvy
Casting On

dog hoodie - I need help!
I am trying to follow this pattern:
bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=4149&cps=21191

It said 'easy' and it is the first pattern I have tried...
I don't understand what they mean by "Leg Openings: Next row: (RS). K5 (5-7-11). Cast off 4 (6- 6-10) sts. K36 (46-56-80) (including st on needle after cast off). Cast off 4 (6-6-10) sts. Knit to end of row.
Note: All Leg sections are worked at the same time using separate balls of yarn for each section.
Beg with a purl row, work 1 (1-1-2) ins [2.5 (4-4-6) cm] in stocking st, ending with purl row.
Joining row: K5 (5-7-11). Cast on 4 (6-6-10) sts. K36 (46- 56-80). Cast on 4 (6-6-10) sts. Knit to end of row. 54 (68- 82-122) sts.
Cont even until work after neckband measures 5 (6-8-11) ins [12.5 (16.5-20.5-28) cm], ending with purl row. Place marker at each end of last row."

Can someone put this into lamens terms for me? I got to this point OK (I think!) but now I am not sure how to proceed...Thank you!
nhsavvy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

As I previously replied on another website, the layman's term is that you need to create three balls of yarn from the one you have. You do not need to buy more yarn. Simply work from the other end of your one ball of yarn to create two more. Unwind a bit, cut it and roll it into a seperate ball.
Then follow the knitting instructions to knit the first section. Drop the yarn. Then pick up the second ball of yarn and knit section two. Drop the yarn. Then pick up the third ball of yarn and knit section three.
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
nhsavvy
Casting On

Ok, so 'each section' meaning - the piece I have started, and then "leg opening", and then "joining row"? or do I knit two of the "leg opening" pieces and then knit the 'joining row' using my first piece? I am sorry this is over my head...
nhsavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:25 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You've been knitting in one piece till now, then you knit some sts, BO a few, continue knitting across the back sts, BO a few and knit the rest of the sts. Think of them as 'sets' of stitches which form different sections. Your piece now looks something like this --

---___--------___----

The upper lines are the sts you keep knitting. After the row you BO sts on, turn and knit the first set of stitches, when you get to the gap, drop the yarn, pick up a new end of yarn and knit that set of sts. When you get to the second gap, drop the yarn, pick up another end and knit the last section.

Keep working on each set of sts with it's own yarn for the measurement for the size you're making. Then you work the first set on that row, cast on sts over the gap, work the next set of sts with the same yarn, cast on sts, and do the last set of sts still with the same yarn. That's the 'joining' row, where you get all the sts back into one piece again.

So you don't really need a lot of yarn to do at least one of the set, either use another skein, or the other end of this one, or cut several yards off to use for one of the 3 ends you need. I don't know how big your skein is or if you have more than one, just do what you need to get 3 ends to work with.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (12-14-2011)