Old 12-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
crazknitr87
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to crazknitr87 Send a message via Yahoo to crazknitr87
Losing my Groove
So,
Back in February or March I started my Christmas knitting project and am REALLY losing steam right now. Not exactly trying to throw a pity party but how do you knit, knit, knit, knit?
I am really excited about finishing my stockings for everyone but it seems like time is running out. What to do?

--Everything in the present moment is perfect whether I like it or not.--
crazknitr87 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Maybe you started too soon and are running out of enthusiasm for these projects. Take a little break.

Last edited by suzeeq : 12-02-2011 at 10:46 PM.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
crazknitr87 (12-03-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

First of all,do not stress. Knitting, whether for gifts or yourself, should not be rushed. Do you/did you really want to knit gifts for others? Something we make with our own hands is a gift of pleasure, not stress. I would say, please (been there, done that etc., etc.,) re-evaluate. Enjoy kniitting for YOU.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wanda Witch For This Useful Post:
crazknitr87 (12-03-2011)
Old 12-03-2011, 03:21 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
Like Sue said take a little break. If you are really sick of doing them you know you could make them for next year instead. There's no knitting police and you did certainly give it a good try if you've been knitting them that long!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
crazknitr87 (12-03-2011)
Old 12-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

When I knit Christmas gifts, I think about the person I'm knitting for while I'm knitting, and all the wonderful things that make me care about that person (or if I'm knitting for a charity, I think about why I care about the cause).

Therefore, my closest friends and family get the most complex gifts, and others get easier ones. For instance, I knitted hats for all of my friends one year. I felt obligated to knit one for my best friend's jack@$$ boyfriend because I was knitting one for her twin sister's boyfriend...
The sisters got complex Fair Isle patterns on their hats. The nice boyfriend (now married and with a baby on the way!) got a double-knit ski cap in colors I knew he would love. For the jerk, I put in the bare minimum of time and money. He broke up with her a week before Christmas and I donated it to a charity.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
crazknitr87 (12-04-2011), salmonmac (12-07-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,346 Times in 3,030 Posts
I like to vary the kind of knitting Iím doing: some intarsia or fair Isle, some complicated aran sts, something in plain, easy stockinette. I find that the variety keeps it all fresh and that may help for you too. Also, Iím very good at rationalizing late gifts (after the babyís birth but before its college graduation is OK; if it all doesnít work out for this Christmas, it certainly will for next Christmas).
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
after the babyís birth but before its college graduation is OK
My mom made my brother and I each a cross-stitched bible passage for our first communions.
Of course, we received them for confirmation.

I'm working on a baby blanket for my best friend's daughter (due Jan. 1) at the moment. My goal is to have it finished by her due date, and if not then, to at least have it done by the next time I am home after that. Which will be March.
As a result, I'm not knitting any Christmas gifts. The baby blanket is a priority and realistically, too much of a time suck.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
oliveoyl
Casting On

Feeling the same way...I love the challenge of a new project, but get bored doing the second mitten (or sock or slipper). I have resorted to the sticker method of rewarding myself with a sticker on the calendar when one project is totally completed. After I have a certain number of stickers I treat myself to something special that I normally don't get (a trip to town for a bakeshop treat, specialty coffee etc) Keeps me motivated and my knitting basket is getting full of gifts!
oliveoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:09 AM   #9
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by jess_hawk View Post
I'm working on a baby blanket for my best friend's daughter (due Jan. 1) at the moment. My goal is to have it finished by her due date, and if not then, to at least have it done by the next time I am home after that. Which will be March.
Just to confound my master plan... baby Lilly was born Saturday.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
Antares
Working the Gusset

Yup! Leave it up to those little darlings to confound our plans from the get-go! They're so good at that!

Congrats to your friend, though, on her new baby, and hopefully the early arrival of the little one will inspire you to finish up your project.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote