Old 12-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #21
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,043 Times in 2,555 Posts
Quote:
as soon as I pull food out of it I boil it out with about an inch of water, rinse, put it back on a hot burner and then rub with a little oil.
Thanks! It worked like a charm.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #22
nonny2t
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Lighting57 View Post
Do you mean porcelain finished? That's what is on these.
I figured non-stick should not be put in the dishwasher anyway.
What do I know?
I've never had a dishwasher and only operated one once in my entire 54 years.
Besides, I usually can wash dishes and clean up a kitchen quicker than some folk can wipe out the dishes and load the washer.
I'll make sure I tell my daughter to hand wash only or exchange them for some other kind.
Is the Rachel Ray set a good one?
The Rachel Ray set of mine is about 2 years old, the non stick has come off making food stick in the bottom and like I said, the outside of the cookware is ceramic coated. I don't particularly like it considering I paid over $300 for the darn set and the stuff I have bought that was cheaper lasted longer. So I wouldn't recommend her set, no.
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #23
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by vaknitter View Post
Jan - since the meat cooks in the cast-iron there really shouldn't be any live bacteria in the pan when the meat is removed. I never let my cast-iron sit - as soon as I pull food out of it I boil it out with about an inch of water, rinse, put it back on a hot burner and then rub with a little oil. I figure boiling the pan gets it hotter than any other form of cleaning. My hot water tank is set at about 130deg so whether I wash in the sink or the dishwasher it doesn't get boiling hot and neither my dishwasher soap or dish detergent at the sink are anti-bacterial. Or at least that's how I've justified it to myself all these years ...

Thank you. My cast iron skillets thank you. My cast iron griddle thanks you. I'm using the skillets more because they're less trouble to take care of than my easy to care for stainless! I love steak cooked in a cast iron skillet. Yum.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #24
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

True, at times they may not be as convenient as nonstick, but they last longer, cook better, they make great weapons, you don't have to use only certain types of cookware with them, and if you take care of them they will last your lifetime and well beyond.

As long as you are careful to clean them properly and DON'T allow water to remain on them any length of time they will serve you well forever. Even if they do end up starting to rust they can be cleaned back into sevice, but you want to avoid it to start with though. My g-grandmothers (100+ yr old) dutch oven is begging to slow cook a pot roast, but I haven't been able to splurge on one in a long time.
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #25
claireweber
Working the Gusset

I was thinking of purchasing a set of stainless cookware, have never had a set before. My DH is trying to talk me out of it, says we already have most of what we need, UGH! It's my $

And so of course I am now confused We plan to sell our home and move back to the folks home, apartment on the back of the house, so part of the argument is that we are trying to pare down. The apartment is a landing spot until we figure out what's next; my DH will be working to expand the his folk's small family blueberry farm operations.

We have a lot of cast iron, I don't believe I can part with any of it, some of the pieces belonged to my now deceased grandmother-in-law and are shiny from what I imagine to be decades of use.

I was looking at Costco.com, they have their own label, plus there is a Cuisinart label that I am looking at. My thought was to perhaps sell or donate the old cookware and have a set that would serve our needs, as well as displaying nicely on our hanging pot rack when we put the house up for sale. Does anyone have a set of stainless cookware and could tell me what they like about it?
claireweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #26
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

I love stainless cookware. It's easy to clean and stays shiny and bright. The disc bottoms in mine heat evenly and don't have hot spots. I'd been using mine for about 7 years and someone asked me how I kept it so shiny and I said, "I wash it." When I need to I scour my pots with Bon Ami. I am careful not to let things burn on and to clean anything that gets on the outside off before it can become permanently attached, other than that it hardly requires anything, no special care. Mine isn't an expensive set and I've only been using it about 16 years now, so when I get it broken in maybe I can give you a better answer.

There is something about cast iron though. The more I use my cast iron the more I prefer it. I've started using the cast iron dutch oven for making pea soup. Somehow it just tastes better. Don't part with your cast iron...if you must, I'll come get it!

Old 07-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #27
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

I have a set of Kitchen Craft stainless steel cookware and it is fantastic! My folks had a set when I was growing up, so when it came time to get my own stuff, I was dismayed by how expensive it was. Luckily, a roommate of mine decided to spring for a set. Then she lost her job so I took over the payments on the set, so it became mine.

It's pretty amazing stuff, because you can stack it on burners and the heat goes through the core up through all the pots. It saves vitamins and minerals in the food because you don't have to add much water.

We also have cast iron skillets, and a dutch oven that we bake sourdough bread in. I figure that between the two kinds I am set for life! (Kitchen Craft has a lifetime guarantee). If the house ever catches on fire I will try to make it out w/ the Kitchen Craft!
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #28
claireweber
Working the Gusset

We went ahead and purchased the Wolfgang Puck set from Sam's Club. It was very inexpensive, someday when I'm even older we'll get a very nice set, but this will do. And at my DH's insistence, it's not coming out of my I did have to let go of one small saucepan, I liked it so much, but that was part of the deal. All the old cookware is going to the women's shelter, it's already been taken down off the pot rack, and although not washed yet, the new set is hanging. Clearing the clutter feels good.

The cast iron, I would be buried with it if possible, but I plan on returning to ash sooner than if I was buried, either scatter me over the ocean or plant a tree over me. What I do need for the cast iron, however, is a good way to display them. I have a grid wall rack but no proper hooks, the s hooks just don't do the trick, have to remove them, hook the pan to them and re hook them on the rack.

Emptying two drawers in the kitchen today, both are pretty much full of plastic storage containers and lids. We picked up a box of Rubbermaid containers - the lids are red DH wanted to keep the small square ones we use for freezing sauce and such, but the rest are going, from 2 drawers down to one

Ah....my dear husband made us some fresh watermelon juice mojitos Tasty and refreshing. So, GG, one of the things that prompted me to pick up a set of stainless, we had stainless pots, but the skillets were all cast iron. And my DH was using the cast iron skillet for cooking his bratwurst, in water And in the old Wagner Ware, you can't get those any more. I was very distressed about the seasoned finish, it had pretty much disappeared. My husband found a link on the internet explaining how to season stainless, so he'll be doing that to the new skillets, if it really works I'll be sure to pass the link along.

Hope everyone is having a good 4th of July weekend. Happy
Old 07-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #29
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by jinxnit55 View Post
If the house ever catches on fire I will try to make it out w/ the Kitchen Craft!
Old 07-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #30
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I'd been using mine for about 7 years and someone asked me how I kept it so shiny and I said, "I wash it."

Don't part with your cast iron...if you must, I'll come get it!
Over my dead body! I can leave it to you in my will.