Old 12-07-2011, 06:39 AM   #1
Woodi
Turning the Heel

how to tell which row I'm doing next...?
I just had to test-knit this interesting twisted rib scarf (pattern later)....it's a two-row pattern, and I think I've knit four rows so far.

Right side has nice raised stitches

Wrong side is flat:

The 2-row pattern (which I copied from AllFreeKnitting) is this:

Number of stitches = multiple of 3 +1, so I started with 29 stitches.

Row 1 (right side): P1, *skip first stitch, knit into back loop of second stitch (leaving stitch on left needle), knit into front of first stitch (removing both stitches from left needle), p1, repeat from * to end of row.
Row 2 (wrong side): K1, *purl into second stitch (leaving stitch on left needle), purl into first stitch (removing both stitches from left needle), k1, repeat from * to end of row.

Can anyone tell, from the photo, which row I'm about to knit next? I thought:it's Row 1, because the wrong side is facing, but when I knit it, it seems wrong.... (it could be that I'm just too tired....got up at 3:30AM and started knitting to calm down, hoping to get back to sleep. But now it's 5:30 ish.....)
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,469 Times in 3,145 Posts
Hi Woodi,
If the pattern is a multiple of 3sts plus 1, shouldn't you start by casting on 28 instead of 29sts? or did you add in an extra edge st? Perhaps also check the number of sts you have on the needle just to make sure your st count is correct. It's a little hard to tell in the pictures but it might be more than cast on.
It looks to me as though you should be starting a WS row (Row 2). One other thing to check is where the tail of your yarn is. If it's long tail cast on the tail will be at the beginning of Row1 (and all following odd row). If cable or knit cast on, the tail will be at the end of Row1 (and all following odd rows).
I usually put a pin into the right side of the work to remind myself of which side is which. Sometimes, especitally at the beginning, it can be confusing.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
Woodi
Turning the Heel

Oh golly, I think you are right about the stitch count....and guess what else I noticed?
I'm having great difficulty with these fat plastic needles, and need to find pointy-ended ones.

The pattern actually said to cast on 46 stitches (=15x3+1).

So I shall begin again. Thank you for all the tips! (and for caring to answer....it's lonely to post a question and get no answer atall!)....not that it happens here very often. But I like to thank those who do take the time.

Darn, fat plastic needles!

Cute pattern though!...but I wonder how it will turn out when I use the proper number of stitches? LOL.

and I learned that this is the 'right side' where I knit, not purl most of the stitches. So all is not lost; at least I learned a few things.
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,469 Times in 3,145 Posts
I think you can get an idea of what it will look like in the RS row twisted sts. It's a very pretty pattern and promises to be warm and cozy. We're all learning. Enjoy knitting it!
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You can tell by looking at the first st on each row. The RS rows all begin and end with k1, the ws rows with p1, which would be the same as stockinette st. So the first st will give you a clue.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

It's a good habit to use a safety pin, a shred of other-colored yarn or whatever is handy to mark the right side of your work. If it's a really complicated pattern, the safety pin is even more handy because you can scribble a note: "Row 31 finished. Next row is Row 32" and pin it to the piece when you lay it down for the night.
Maybe some people can remember that stuff, but I sure as heck can't even after all these years!
justplaincharlotte (12-08-2011)
Old 12-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
JayW
Casting On

Hi Woodi,

This pattern is sometimes named Rick Rack rib, because on the right side it does, indeed, look like rick rack.

When you're about to begin a row, if the raised rick rack design is facing you, it's the right side, so work Row 1 - the row where you knit into back loop of second stitch (leaving stitch on left needle), knit into front of first stitch....

If the rick rack design is not facing you, it's the wrong side, so work Row 2 - the row where you purl into second stitch (leaving stitch on left needle), purl into first stitch...

In the photos you posted, your next row will be the wrong side, Row 2, because the raised rick rack design is not facing you.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
JayW is offline   Reply With Quote