Old 12-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
chixdilla
1st Leg of the Journey

Help deciphering this pattern
Can anyone help me figure this out? I'm working on this wine cozy and I am at the part where you're forming a ridge where the base of the bottle would go.

The instructions say
Quote:
Next Row [WS]: [With left needle, pick up purl bump of next st, 6 rows down, p this st tog with next st on needle] to end of row. This will form a ridge on the right side of the work.

I'm confused as to where to even begin, because after turning my work over to the wrong side, all my stitches are already on the left needle, ready to be worked. So how can I possibly pick up a purl bump in the work with that same needle?! Am I missing something?

I'm also really confused about the whole picking up the next stitch part...

chixdilla is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,802 Times in 7,161 Posts
I think - You'll be picking up that stitch with the left needle and then work it with the right needle together with the original stitch. You'll be working the two stitches together like k2tog.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,502 Times in 3,177 Posts
The idea is to look at the next st and follow it down 6 rows. You can use the right hand needle to pick up the loop from that stitch and put it onto the left hand needle if that's easier. Then you knit the loop together with the stitch on the needle. You're making a tuck in the knitted fabric that will form the ridge on the wine cozy.
There's also a note that may help with the ridge. I've never tried this technique myself although I've picked up sts for a ridge before:

To make it easier to pick up purl bumps in a straight line when forming the ridge, thread a length of cotton embroidery floss through the purl bumps of the appropriate row first. This can easily be picked out every inch or two, as sts are picked up.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
chixdilla
1st Leg of the Journey

Yes! I figured it out shortly after I asked the question. It's actually pretty obvious, I just didn't realize you had to use the right needle to pick up the bump and slip it on the left needle. Duhhhh! Lol, thanks!

chixdilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,802 Times in 7,161 Posts
I do that all the time. I think just the act of putting it in words helps your head figure it out.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote