Old 12-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
Unravel
Casting On

Cast on Too Tight?
Hello all and first I would like to say I love, love this place! I spent most of my day yesterday just reading here and bookmarking things.

I'm brand new to knitting, but I do have the knit and purl stitches figured out. I started a scarf today, have done five rows of knitting and the bottom is curling. Are my cast-on stitches too tight? I don't think I'm knitting too tightly because the stitches move along the bamboo needles nicely. I don't want to go any farther if I need to start over at this point. I'm using size 10 circular bamboo needles and my yarn is a washable wool (Liberty Wool.) Any help/suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated!
Unravel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
You may be doing stockinette stitch where you knit one row and then purl one row. That has a tendency to curl at the edges and roll at the bottom. Take a look at this thread which has several ideas that may help. Usually knitting several rows in garter st where you knit every row helps the cure at the bottom and putting an edge at either side in garter st (or some other non curling st like seed st) counteracts the roll. Blocking at the end will help a little too.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
Unravel (12-28-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Unravel
Casting On

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing. O.K., back to row one for me and thank you so much!!!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,796 Times in 7,157 Posts
The entire edge will curl in stockinette so give it a pretty wide border all the way around. Even at that it may fold on the edge of the border, but it'll be better than no border.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Unravel (12-28-2011)
Old 12-28-2011, 01:29 AM   #5
LoveBugAngel
Knitting the Flap

I'm pretty new to knitting too and just finished my first scarf. What I did was I did what they call a "Ribbed" scarf. Its where you knit then purl throughout the row. It makes a really nice scarf! I did knit 2 purl 2 and repeated till the end of the row, then on the next row I did the same thing and so on. The only thing is when you use this method, whatever you end up casting on, has to be a multiple of 4, so that you end up having your last two on the row as purls.
LoveBugAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LoveBugAngel For This Useful Post:
Unravel (12-28-2011)
Old 12-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
Unravel
Casting On

I ended up doing 5 rows of knit stitches across the bottom, 5 knit stitches on right and left sides, then knit one row, purl one row in the middle. It's lying nice and flat now.

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
Unravel
Casting On

Originally Posted by Unravel View Post
I ended up doing 5 rows of knit stitches across the bottom, 5 knit stitches on right and left sides, then knit one row, purl one row in the middle. It's lying nice and flat now.

Thanks for all the replies!
Well, I spoke too soon, my scarf started curling. I went to bed frustrated and swore I was not going to start over, but once I got up this morning, I decided to go with all knit stitches. That's what is called garter, right? Anyway, my yarn is a beautiful variegated washable wool and the changing colors will be pattern enough I guess. I was just hoping to make a scarf and practice on my knit and purl stitches. All is good, I'm learning and that's the important thing.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
Here's another discussion with ideas to counteract curling. It's a problem for everyone. Good luck with the scarf which sounds lovely.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
Unravel (12-29-2011)
Old 12-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
Unravel
Casting On

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Here's another discussion with ideas to counteract curling. It's a problem for everyone. Good luck with the scarf which sounds lovely.
Thank you for this!! It's a bit over my head for now, but I've got it bookmarked for future use or in other words "when I know what I'm doing," lol.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
MrsPilgrim
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Unravel View Post
Thank you for this!! It's a bit over my head for now, but I've got it bookmarked for future use or in other words "when I know what I'm doing," lol.
Hang in there Unravel, I'm a begginner too. I knitted 2 things that looked somewhat like scarves when I started, the first was way too short as I ran out of wool, and it curled, it hangs in my closet just because its my first. The second I tried to improvise with, it was a mohair boucle wool I got from a garage sale, geeze that was a beginner headache. I knitted that scarf too wide and now its been converted to a cover for a lamp/side table decoration. My third scarf came out smashing. On the scarves, especially the second and third I must have ripped 8-10 times and unknitted twice as much, along with some curse words to sweeten the deal. Now Im on my first jumper, I've ripped once and on my first sleeve and am about to rip a part of the body I started last night, its a big learning curve but believe it or not Im getting much better at spotting my mistakes before they happen.

Someone here once said dont fret theres no knitting police. I really loved that, because you would swear as a beginner I thought there was.
MrsPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsPilgrim For This Useful Post:
Unravel (12-29-2011)