Old 12-31-2011, 10:20 PM   #21
Olha
Turning the Heel

This is one cute hat!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #22
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,062 Times in 2,574 Posts
Olha, I can't see how you would have offended anyone. Your observation was interesting and thought provoking. Well, that's how I viewed it anyhow. I think you're right that people don't want to make dishrags! Now I know how to knit and actually make usable items, dishrags once in a while are kind of fun.

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #23
Olha
Turning the Heel

I looked at my post as a quote in someone's reply and realized that I might be offending people who enjoy making dishcloths It wasn't smart of me.

Anyway, I think all knitters are cool whatever they make!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #24
Antares
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I'm itching to try combined knitting and that uses the "backwards" purl. Somehow I have to get my tension more even and I hope that helps.
GG: Have you tried using bamboo needles? That has helped even out my tension considerably, and it's something I figured out by accident because in all the knitting advice I've seen for fixing tension problems, I never saw that as a possible solution. However, I do think the lady in PJs mentioned it in passing at one point.

____

Olha: I don't think your comment was off base. I think it was very astute of you to notice that, and besides, just about EVERYTHING we make as knitters is useful in some form or fashion, right? But I know what you mean. It seems this new batch of knitters on KH are diving into the more difficult (or at least the more time-intensive) projects! Hooray for them! The second project I worked on was a zip-front cardigan, and it was mainly because of this site that I was able to finish it. Because the newbies CAN get help here, I recommend that they dive in to a project--especially one they're in love with!!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #25
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,062 Times in 2,574 Posts
Yes, this site is to blame!
Quote:
Hooray for them! The second project I worked on was a zip-front cardigan, and it was mainly because of this site that I was able to finish it. Because the newbies CAN get help here, I recommend that they dive in to a project--especially one they're in love with!!
Without help and encouragement, knitting is too much...at least it was for me. Finding this site gave me the courage to try it. My next sweater "victim" is my daughter and she's happy about it! The fault definitely lies here, this site, and the wonderful advisors we have.

Right off the top of my head, I have "blame" you, Antares, the lady in pjs, Jan, Sandy, Suzeeq, salmonmac, Lightning 57.... sorry that's all that pop into my head right this second, there are more! .... and all the newbies like me who ask the questions I need answered, including the ones I don't think to ask. Thanks to everyone here!

LBA, we got lucky I think.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. No, I haven't tried bamboo needles. I really think I must.

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #26
LoveBugAngel
Knitting the Flap

omg guess what! I was so excited about this knitting socks book. I open it up and start reading so that I can get a feel for what they are expecting, and I noticed it says refer to page 7, I go to find page 7 and theres no page 7, nor is there and page 8 or 9 or 10 or 11. Whoever printed the book messed up and printed page 5 6 7 8 again then jumps to page 17!!! I can't believe my luck! I will have to return it tomorrow.
LoveBugAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #27
colleen114
Ribbing the Cuff

Olha, I came right out and said that making a dishcloth didn't hold my attention, so if you offended anyone, I bet I did too. I think dishcloths can be a cool project too, so I'm also sorry if I offended anybody. I just currently don't need any dishcloths, but I do really need a scarf (January and cold!).
colleen114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #28
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,892 Times in 3,013 Posts
Your work is wonderful! And socks so soon? Good for you!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote