Old 11-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
thisisme7899
Ribbing the Cuff

KITTY BLANKETS!!
Hey! Have you ever wanted to knit blankets for the animal shelter, for those poor animals? If so, then I am glad to tell you, that I have SEVERAL different patterns to make for those poor babys! If someone is willing to help me, and get someone else to join, working together, we can make many blankets to help those animals! Write me and tell me if you want to! PLEASEE!!! FOR THE KITTIES AND PUPPIES!
thisisme7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
CountryNaturals
Knitting the Flap

I'm so glad you're doing this. Our daughter has a charity for rescue animals. I make all sorts of things for the animals and also to sell as fundraisers. If you'd like to compare notes, send me a PM.

We just took in yet another black cat for our sanctuary location. He showed his appreciation by jumping up to the 4th shelf of the bookcase, where I was drying some catnip for the mice I make and . . . <sigh>

CountryNaturals is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CountryNaturals For This Useful Post:
thisisme7899 (11-16-2010)
Old 01-18-2011, 02:35 AM   #3
cupid00
Casting On

Hey thisisme, my aunty Merry and her group of eight ladies knit blankets for the animal. Last week they all made 15 blankets for kitty as well as dog.We'll deliver the blankets to the different shelters this week, along with food and litter and toys.They will like if join with you and helps to make more blanket.
thisisme7899 (01-18-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
thisisme7899
Ribbing the Cuff

KITTY BLANKETS!!!
Ok, thats soo awsome. My art teacher makes dog beds, from like material not knitting, so when she delivers those dog beds to animal shelters, I give her the kitty blankets that I have made, and have her take them with her! I'm so glad that your aunt has a group of women who can help!
I'm 15 and I don't have as much time as I would like to have, so I've only made like.... 9 or 10 since I posted the first starting thread. I wish I could do alot more!
<3 from Moriah
Old 01-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
mspwrz
1st Leg of the Journey

I am willing to help.
OTH: Hat to match scarf
FO: (C)Scarf for International Swap, 12 chemo hats this month, 2 Oddball blanket sections
ITB-too many UFO's LOL!!!!
mspwrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mspwrz For This Useful Post:
thisisme7899 (01-19-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
Woodi
Turning the Heel

Very nice idea, and kind of you!

....but: I have two cats and they don't like knitted blankets to lie on...prefer towels or quilts. I think maybe their claws get sometimes caught in the knitting. I've offered them a garter-stitch blanket and they both rejected it.
but maybe not all cats are like these two fuss budgets!
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
thisisme7899
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Woodi View Post
Very nice idea, and kind of you!

....but: I have two cats and they don't like knitted blankets to lie on...prefer towels or quilts. I think maybe their claws get sometimes caught in the knitting. I've offered them a garter-stitch blanket and they both rejected it.
but maybe not all cats are like these two fuss budgets!
Lol. I never thought of that. I'm hoping that the cats would rather lay on one of these then have to lay on concrete floors. (fingers crossed)
Old 02-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Try felting!
I know the greyhound shelter I used to volunteer at required donated blankets to not have open weave because the dogs could get caught/tangled in it. But felted items are thick, cozy, and durable.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
dddebbb3 (02-16-2011), thisisme7899 (02-03-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #9
thisisme7899
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by jess_hawk View Post
Try felting!
I know the greyhound shelter I used to volunteer at required donated blankets to not have open weave because the dogs could get caught/tangled in it. But felted items are thick, cozy, and durable.
I have never quite understood the "Felting" process... Could you explain it to me?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #10
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Especially for felting blankets, it's really quite easy. Basically you have to have 100% wool (or alpaca, angora, etc.) that isn't superwash. You knit up your item. It's best to not use a really tight gauge, because what you want is for the fibers to rub together a lot when you toss it in the wash.

You put the finished item in the laundry, with hot water (and a cold rinse, if possible) and maybe a pair of jeans or some tennis balls for extra agitation. As the yarn gets agitated, the fibers kind of migrate into each other, and because of the rough outer surface on each hair, they get stuck that way.

If you are doing something that is sized (like a felted hat or slippers), you have to keep a closer eye on it, but for making felted blankets for animals, just keep in mind that as the fibers get interlocked, they pull closer together, so you have to knit your object somewhat bigger than you want its finished size to be.

For cat-sized blankets, you might experiment with this by going to a thrift shop and buying a 100% wool sweater (one that says dry clean only) and throwing it in the wash. When its felted, you can cut it into cat blankets or just donate it as is!
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
fatoldladyinpjs (07-05-2011), HamsterLover (08-14-2011), thisisme7899 (02-04-2011)