Old 12-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
carterm4
Casting On

Knitting tote advice
I am starting to look for a knitting tote ( as plasic bags aren't cutting it anymore and I now know I will keep knitting and not just a flight of fancy). But there are so many choices. Does any one have any advice on what to look for or any that they would recommend. I would like a bigger tote so I keep enough supplies for multiple projects. Thanks in advance for any help.
carterm4 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Antares
Working the Gusset

First thought: Gee, they have totes that are specifically made for knitters, and people actually spend money on them?

What I use: plastic bags, free cloth totes, plastic bags, paper sacks, plastic bags, any container I can find, and plastic bags!

As you can imagine, my recommendation is to use a . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
LARGER PLASTIC BAG!

Wow, I must be so behind the times, but no fancy tote means I can buy more yarn, yes?

I hope you find for what you are looking (to be grammatically correct and yet still sound like an idiot).
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,375 Times in 3,058 Posts
If you're going to carry it around with you, some reasonably sized canvas tote with interior pockets works well. And did someone say plastic bag? They fit easily into other totes and keep projects separate and clean.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

For individual projects, I buy a couple of boxes of Hefty 2-gallon size clear zipper plastic bags. The plastic is thick enough to not rip as easily as the flimsy shopping bags.

For something bigger, I bought one of the JoAnn Fabrics tote bags for only $1.99!!! I do a lot of my clothes shopping at the local Goodwill store and they ALWAYS have tons of bags that would make great knitting bags.

My husband laughs at me, since I've always been a tote-bag "fanatic" and will buy a tote bag or pick up free ones any and everywhere I go!!

knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
Woodi
Turning the Heel

I use those $1 totes which stores here sell all over the place, trying to encourage shoppers to stop using plastic.
I put one project in each. Some are made of sturdier fabric than others.

Green one from the pet store:

Pink one is plasticized paper, came free from my LYS with a yarn purchase.

Black one from our local health food store (nice heavy cotton):

Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

Storage:
I suggest putting like yarns (brand, color, weight) in clear zip lock bags. It keeps the yarn together and allows you to be able to read the labels/weights etc. These bags can then go into totes, drawers and shelves for long term keeping/storage.

Portability:
To take "in progress" projects with you, small tote bags are great. Any bag will work (home-made, stor bought, for knitting, for some other purpose) Just consider its size, opening (ease and size), straps/handles and pockets. Exterior pockets are helpful for needles, accesories and directions. A long enough strap(s) to carry the bag over your shoulder is useful. I still keep some plastic bags in there. That way you're working ball of yarn can sit in the plastic bag for easier pullability (yarns don't pull out of fabric totes/bags well) and your yarn will stay clean if sitting on a floor, table, bench, ground etc.
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
For me personally - I like a flat bottom so it stands on it's own, a zip top, plenty of room. Pockets are nice, but I keep a gadget bag inside so the pockets aren't absolutely necessary. I also like the bag itself to be light weight.

What I'm using now is a bag my friend brought me from Hawaii (ABC Stores). I have the black one - http://www.abcstores.com/browse.cfm/4,1318.html

These type of bags are everywhere though. Some people prefer a bag that looks more like a purse, some like a tote bag.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
carterm4
Casting On

Thank you for all the ideas. Plastic grocery bags keep ripping so I will switch to ziploc until I find a cloth bag that I like ( an excuse to buy another bag or two to add to my collection).
carterm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

I use ziploc bags quart size and up to hold projects. Any carry along project ziplocs go in a grocery tote. 2 gal. ziplocs are awesome for storing yarn, as are plastic storage bins. My wonderful husband understands that my yarn stash is actually yarn savings for my entertainment during retirement.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:13 AM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I like a bag with handles because they are so much easier to take with you than something like ziplocs. I have stored things at home in a ziploc, but only if I'm going to put it down for awhile...as in it needs a time out because it's been being naughty.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote