Old 12-31-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
knittingnewb
Casting On

knit pattern, but without circular needle?
Total beginner here, as I try to attempt this as my first knit. I'm trying to knit "GAP-tastic cowl" from ravelry (/download/75848/free (sorry, can't post links yet, add ravelry in front) and I was wondering if its possible to knit without the use of circular needle? I have two straight needles and how if that would change the pattern instructions?

If this is possible, where to get instructions/videos on the techniques involved to do this?

If you can't get link to work I typed the directions below:
Long-tail method, CO 131 sts.
Join in the round and place marker.
Row one: *k1, p1. Repeat from * across row
Row two: *p1, k1. Repeat from * across row
Work in seed stitch for 15 inches
BO in pattern and weave in ends.

Thanks
knittingnewb is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-31-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

I looked at the PDF of the pattern on Ravelry and was a little surprised to see that the designer recommends only a 24" circular for 130 sts in bulky-weight yarn. Wow. Those are going to be some very crowded stitches!

She also gives a gauge of 3 sts and 5 rows = 1 inch in seed stitch (the alternating knit/purl pattern she's given in the instructions). If you're working this on straight needles, it *might* work to do it "sideways"; in other words, to case on for the width rather than the length.

The instructions say to knit seed stitch for 15 inches. If you crowd the straights a little bit (are they 14" long?), a 15" width will be OK. At 3 sts = 1 inch, you'll need 45 sts for 15 inches. I think most people find it easier to work seed stitch over an even number of stitches, so either 44 or 46 will work (maybe 44, since that's a little less crowding the needles).

Then go for 131 rows (the original number of stitches that were to be cast on), or as long as you want the cowl to be. You can then join the two ends in any of several manners and have a nice, long, full cowl.

HTH, because where can you purchase circs this late on New Year's Eve? Or do you have a friend who can lend them to you for a few weeks? (I'd ask for 32" at least, though, if not longer....)

DCM
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You would probably need the circular to hold all the stitches even if you knit it flat and seamed it. But since it's just a seed stitch pattern, CO for the 'length' of 12-15 inches and knit it until it's 40" long or however you want. You can use a provisional cast on then a 3 needle BO to join the ends if you don't want to seam.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
holex07
Casting On

hey knittingnewb,

did you end up trying to knit the gaptastic cowl with straight needles the way dogcatmom suggested?
holex07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Originally Posted by holex07 View Post
hey knittingnewb,

did you end up trying to knit the gaptastic cowl with straight needles the way dogcatmom suggested?
The OP hasn't been an active member since that first post so you may not get an answer unless she is notified by email that you've replied. You can start a new thread on the topic if you wish.

I agree with Sue that it might be difficult with straight needles.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It could be done with straight needles though, but knit the other way. CO enough for the 15" width and knit the length wanted, then join the ends.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote