Old 01-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
laikabear
Turning the Heel

Gaah Sylvi!
I have made a New Year's resolution to bring out some of my old WIPs and finish them. One is Sylvi, the knitted coat. I think I started it in Fall 08 and put it away sometime in early 09. I was thinking about frogging it for a while because I wanted to make some modifications that were beyond my abilities.

I'd knitted all but the hood and blocked everything. Yesterday I seamed it up (with some difficulty - I feel like a beginner again) and it looks nice. I vowed to just do the hood per pattern instead of trying to make a collar instead and to forget about the lining and pockets I wanted to do, which were frustrating me.

Today I have spent a few hours (omigosh this is embarrassing) knitting and ripping the few first rows of the hood over and over. First I had an extra stitch. Then my pattern wasn't lining up.

You guys, I realized I forgot how to read a chart!

I was reading each line right to left, but since in this chart all rows are listed, you're supposed to go right to left, then left to right, etc. At least I hope that is it because otherwise I am really confused. I guess this is my question, is that right for a cabling chart? If the wrong side rows are listed then you read those from left to right?

I also spent a while trying to find my needles (I put my size 11s in a special place for safekeeping, duh!) and to decipher all the notes I wrote on the pattern. Did I write those notes? It seems like 100 years ago.

But the hood is on the needles and after that I only have to sew on the flower petals and bobbles and I think I will have an FO over 3 years in the making. !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to laikabear For This Useful Post:
Frulanuprak (03-13-2014)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If the piece is knit flat, yes you read RS rows on a chart from R to L and WS rows from L to R. If it's in the round you read all rows R to L.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
laikabear (01-02-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 03:13 AM   #3
laikabear
Turning the Heel

It's flat... Thanks Suzee, I can't believe I forgot that but now it makes sense.