Old 01-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Faren
Casting On

Backwards Knitting
Does anyone knit backwards? What are the advantages of backwards knitting?
Faren is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Some people like to do it for entrelac when you have lots of rows that work 2, sts, turn, work on the same sts, turn, work 3 sts, turn, work the same sts, turn, and so on. I don't mind turning as I found that knitting backwards more fiddley and uneven tension was more of a pain than turning. Though I sometimes knit backwards if I'm fixing a row with a lot of stitches and had to take out a bunch of rows in the middle. But as a standard technique instead of purling a row, only a few people do do. You tube will have some videos showing it.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
I've used it for an entrelac blanket, because switching so much would have been ridiculous, especially when the blanket got bigger.
To be honest, the only reason I see to knit backwards is when, as Susie said, you have to work back and forth on a few stitches many times.

I guess if someone really, really hated to purl, it might come in handy.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Faren
Casting On

I'm thinking about learning backwards knitting. I knit english, and plan to knit backwards using continental so I won't have to switch hands. Would that help with tension?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
I think the tension comes with practice whichever method you choose to use. I've just finished an entrelac blanket and knitting backwards made it much easier to work, not so much cumbersome turning. Besides, it's fun to do.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Quote:
I'm thinking about learning backwards knitting. I knit english, and plan to knit backwards using continental so I won't have to switch hands. Would that help with tension?
That may mess up your tension, but try it out and see how it works for you. It's not uncommon to get different tension on knit rows and purl rows. One way to overcome that is figure out which row you're looser on and use a needle one size smaller. But really, even tension on both knit and purl st comes from practice practice practice and if you like to knit, you won't mind an excuse to knit more.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
Faren
Casting On

How could learning continental mess up my tension? I'm glad to hear that backwards knitting is fun. Maybe I'll try entrelac one day.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Learning continental might not mess up your tension though people find it can be a lot different than they get in english style, but the knitting backwards may not give you an even tension either. Try the 2 different size needle trick instead.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
Originally Posted by Faren View Post
How could learning continental mess up my tension? I'm glad to hear that backwards knitting is fun. Maybe I'll try entrelac one day.
Tension...trying to get mine right gives me a tension headache! I haven't been able to get the hang of English knitting, I do it Continental at least in part because I learned crochet first but maybe more because I have trouble getting coordinated for English style. It seems to require something more, at least for me, than Continental. Today I had a chance to try combined knitting, you wrap the yarn the other way for purls, then have to make sure you knit or purl that twisted stitch correctly on the next row. So far I think I like it, my tension seems to be more even using two needles of the same size. Knitting backwards seems like something I will try to learn just because, even if I never use it much.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:53 AM   #10
Faren
Casting On

I have practiced backwards knitting a few times. It's going well so far but, knitting continental is very painful. Once I get used to it, I'll see if I have to go up or down a needle size or 2.