Old 01-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
Kala
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
The bag is knit in the round and measures 14" across the width which means you'd be knitting 28" around on your needle, not doubling the sts.
The pattern calls for 118 sts, I casted them on last night but they didnt come to end needle and wouldnt connect, this is the first project Ive used a cicular needle I guess Im just confused
Kala is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

Wool Ease Chunky yarn is VERY thick. Are you using the same yarn that the pattern calls for? With that many stitches, it "should" be long enough to connect and work in the round.

knitcindy

Last edited by knitcindy : 01-08-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Didn't read all the posts before answering.
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
Kala
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by knitcindy View Post
Wool Ease Chunky yarn is VERY thick. Are you using the same yarn that the pattern calls for? With that many stitches, it "should" be long enough to connect and work in the round.

knitcindy
No, Im used worsted weight think its #4, I dont want it really thick, but the length of thr cable is to long, I though about casting on enough sts to make them connect and decresing until I reach 118, but Im not sure if that would work, can you decrese the cast on sts
Kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #14
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Then you can use the single loop method to get your stitches to join. After you do a few rounds though, it should be loose enough you don't have to loop the cord anymore.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #15
Kala
Ribbing the Cuff

The bag is knit in the round and measures 14" across the width which means you'd be knitting 28" around on your needle, not doubling the sts.
I still dont understand what your saying the required number of sts wont fit around the cable, when I try to do so it streches the sts out. Is there anyway to make my cable smaller?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #16
suzeeq
Knit On!

That's why I posted the link to single loop knitting in post 14. That lets you make a loop in the cord so it's a little bit shorter and you can knit all your stitches in the round that way. Cast on with some scrap yarn and try it out.

The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Kala (01-08-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #17
Kala
Ribbing the Cuff

That's why I posted the link to single loop knitting in post 14. That lets you make a loop in the cord so it's a little bit shorter and you can knit all your stitches in the round that way. Cast on with some scrap yarn and try it out.
That link doesnt work I had to use bing to find it, thats why I got confused but it did help but I think that I to have straighten out the cord first!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #18
suzeeq
Knit On!

I'm so sorry. I heard last week it had changed and I thought I fixed it.

Now on checking it, appears that both links I had for single/travelling loop were to the same person, but were on different blogs and have now been consolidated. The information didn't look the same to me, so that's why I thought I had different pages.

Here's a video, btw, hope that works for you.

Last edited by suzeeq : 01-08-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #19
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,781 Times in 7,145 Posts
Originally Posted by Kala View Post
No, Im used worsted weight think its #4, I dont want it really thick, but the length of thr cable is to long, I though about casting on enough sts to make them connect and decresing until I reach 118, but Im not sure if that would work, can you decrese the cast on sts
When you substitute yarn you should try to use the same weight. In this case a chunky yarn. Worsted weight is a lighter weight of yarn so the same number of stitches cast on will be smaller. So you're probably going to have to magic loop as Sue is suggesting.

Also... cast on the stitches and then knit flat for a few rows before joining. Less chance of having a twisted cast on, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote