Old 01-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #31
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Anthony232 View Post
I am sooo blessed and amazed at the quick replies, and thank you all. These aren't for anyone. I am just trying to learn to follow patterns on the basic level, and I am having this issue. That's why I am so worried that I am overlooking something.

I knitted another half so that I have a whole. It came out EXACTLY as the first....that's good and bad. Only good because they match...lol. Ok, so what I THINK I have discovered is that the identations are created with the Purl (Row 8), then the Knit (Row 1), then the Purl (Row 2). Does that make ANY sense to anyone? Maybe the indentations are only 3 Rows of my pattern and not all 8?

Since I cant post the pattern, I would be happy to type it real quick and email it to someone? I am sure that it would only take an experienced knitter about 15 mins to get the the point where it starts flipping on you.

Anyone? LOL
I'm looking at your quote, I knitted another half so that I have a whole. Okay, you're not knitting half a mitten and sewing it up all the way around. You're knitting this as one whole piece, folding it in half vertically and then just sewing one side of this up. Maybe that's why the way the mitten is shaped is confusing you. Think of it like a peanut butter sandwich. You want a peanut butter sandwich but there's only one slice of bread left. You spread the bread with the peanut butter and fold the slice in half so you can eat it. Same thing with the mittens. Get it? If you look at this picture of mittens in this photo (the blue-green pair on the right) you'll get the idea.
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/2-needlemitts.html

We could all go broke buying these magic "how to" books that are out there. I suggest you go to Youtube and watch a few videos. Not all teachers (or books) will click with you. There are some teachers on Youtube that are better than others. If I don't like one teacher, I watch somebody else's video. Youtube is really the way to go. And it's free! I'm an old dog and I'm still learning new tricks from Youtube. One of the best ones on Youtube that I like is Liat M Gat from Knit Freedom. Check out her website at knitfreedom.com. She's got some tutorial videos you might like. I like her no nonsense approach and am always learning new shortcuts and techniques from her.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoldladyinpjs For This Useful Post:
Anthony232 (01-12-2012)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #32
Anthony232
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Skype™ to Anthony232
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
It's often confusing if you think of a stitch the way it looks on the previous row; you're done with them and need to look at the sts on this row. And they look the opposite on this row. This post may help you identify knits and purls as they look on the row you're about to knit and the whole thread has other tips and a video.
Yes, you are exactly right, and thanks for the link. When I described it, I was describing the picture as if you had turned the work to start going back the other way. I was correct too, but probably confused more people than I helped :(

I will have this figured out this weekend. I have moved onto a scarf with a Leafy-Lace pattern and it is coming out amazing. I am sooo amazed just watching the work turn out row-by-row as I go! Those of you that can write a pattern have a certain brain molecule that I just don't have. I find myself saying, "how in the world does THIS end up making THAT?"

I also had a K1, Sl 1, K1, psso, K2tog in my pattern last night, and I assumed since it was a KNIT row, that when I SL, I first inserted my needle as if to Knit. If I was on a Purl row, I assume that I would insert my needle as if to Purl to Sl 1 (couldn't find this answer in my book). Finally, if the pattern doesn't say something like S1 (wyif), then you leave the yarn in the same position as it was on your last stitch...right? So, using my first example, K1, Sl 1, K1, psso, then the yarn would be in the back (as if to knit) since the previous st was a K1.

Ahh...The weekend is a day closer!!!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #33
Anthony232
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
I'm looking at your quote, I knitted another half so that I have a whole. Okay, you're not knitting half a mitten and sewing it up all the way around. You're knitting this as one whole piece, folding it in half vertically and then just sewing one side of this up.

Check out her website at knitfreedom.com. She's got some tutorial videos you might like. I like her no nonsense approach and am always learning new shortcuts and techniques from her.
Hey Old Lady in PJ's...lol...your username cracks me up...very cool! My mitten pattern is meant to have 4 halves to sew together all the way around...like a PB&J sandwich with enough bread...hehe. I know this because the pattern says "Make 4", and then the "Finishing" directions instruct you to sew 2 together to make 1.

I have watched hundreds of videos on YouBoob. My father used to call the television the boob-tube...where does that come from anyways? Back to the subject...YouTube is actually where I found you guys from. I came across one of your How-To's, and I kept digging and found you.

I looked up Knitting Groups in my area, and they ALL seem tailored to women because their names are like...Chix with Stix, Real Housewives of Denton Co. and Women with Pointed Sticks... I think meeting someone in my area is going to be the ticket. I will go to Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's, or Michael's and see if there are any boards that I can post to.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #34
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
lso had a K1, Sl 1, K1, psso, K2tog in my pattern last night, and I assumed since it was a KNIT row, that when I SL, I first inserted my needle as if to Knit. If I was on a Purl row, I assume that I would insert my needle as if to Purl to Sl 1 (couldn't find this answer in my book). Finally, if the pattern doesn't say something like S1 (wyif), then you leave the yarn in the same position as it was on your last stitch...right? So, using my first example, K1, Sl 1, K1, psso, then the yarn would be in the back (as if to knit) since the previous st was a K1.
When the slip st is part of a decrease you would slip knitwise even if it's on a purl row (ssp). If you're just slipping the st and won't be doing anything with it on the same row, slip purlwise. If the pattern doesn't say what to do with the yarn then yep, leave it where it was for the previous stitch. Knitwise and purlwise only refer to how you insert the needle, not where the yarn is.

And even though knitting groups are composed mostly of women or have girly names doesn't mean they wouldn't welcome a guy. Check with your local yarn store to see if they have groups. The craft stores probably don't have any groups that meet.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Anthony232 (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #35
Anthony232
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
When the slip st is part of a decrease you would slip knitwise even if it's on a purl row (ssp). If you're just slipping the st and won't be doing anything with it on the same row, slip purlwise. If the pattern doesn't say what to do with the yarn then yep, leave it where it was for the previous stitch.
So, even if this was my pattern, and it didn't say knitwise or purlwise, I would Slip it as if to purl? This is a made up example...

K3, K2tog, K1, Sl1, K1, psso, K1, YO, K1....etc.

I thought since the row was a knit row, I would slip as if to knit. Good to know that it doesn't have to slip as if to knit.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #36
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
No, that slip stitch in your example is part of a decrease and you would always slip as if to knit. Slip st decs are ssk and sl1 k1 psso or sl 2, k, psso.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Anthony232 (01-12-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 01:41 AM   #37
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Don't let the pattern overwhelm you. Print it out. Cross each row off as you complete it. Concentrate on working one row at a time. You'll do fine. Don't feel inadequate. All of us here were beginners at one time. We know as much as we do because we either asked somebody else questions or figured it out on our own. We've all been where you are.
Anthony232 (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 01:51 AM   #38
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

As for the name, I lost about 40 pounds since I claimed that one. Most of my clothes don't fit anymore so I have a limited wardrobe now. It consists of a work uniform, a good pair of jeans for church (haven't gotten around to getting dressy clothes yet). And when I'm off work and lounging around? You guessed it. Pjs. They are the rattiest, holiest, and baggiest things around. I am a real sex symbol. But they're comfortable. You should have seen me chasing my runaway dog in the neighborhood with baggy pants that almost fell off, since I lost weight. In my defense, I did buy smaller baggy pj pants last week. They're cushy warm fleece. At my age, you don't care what other people think of you anymore.
Anthony232 (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 02:03 AM   #39
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I guess I have a mental block when it comes to clothes. What if I buy new clothes, lose more weight, and they don't fit? What if I buy new clothes and gain weight? Those new clothes will be staring me in the face, laughing at me. When you've got a good thing going, you don't rock the boat and tempt fate.
Anthony232 (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #40
Anthony232
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
At my age, you don't care what other people think of you anymore.
Awww...Come on now. There is no such thing as "At my age, you don't care what other ppl this of you anymore". I am sure you are just as beautiful today as 20 years ago! I used to think that way too, but my wife knocked that right out of me. I'm no spring chicken either, but sometimes I feel 100.

I KNOW you are good enough at knitting to MAKE yourself some lounge around clothes, and some nice sweaters

Have a good weekend everyone, and I will try and post a video of me making the Newly Named "Flipped Out Mitten".

Wonder if the site could make a GUY Knitter emoticon/smiley face?