Old 01-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Miamax
Casting On

edges on garments
Hi
I am putting edging on a sweater and have picked up stitches around my entire garment using circular needles. Unfortunately, I used smaller needles to make it easier for me to pick up the stitches and now I think am stuck with the smaller needles.

If I use the smaller needles the edging will bunch....correct? Or can I use them for my edging?

So, how do I change out the needles? Can I knit one entire row and then join? Or do I have to transfer to correct size needles (started this and it was a disaster).

Or do I start over? Several articles said use the smaller size needles to make the task easier but I did not think beyound that...

thanks
Miamax is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,045 Times in 2,557 Posts
What kid of edging are you doing? If it's ribbing the smaller ones might be just fine. When I have trouble picking up the stitches, I sometimes use a crochet hook to pull up the loop and then put it on the needle. If the edging isn't ribbing and picked up stitches aren't too tight you could just start working them with the larger needle.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Miamax (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Just start knitting with the larger needle in the R hand, it shouldn't bunch up if you picked up the right amount of sts for the gauge with the larger one. Picking up with the smaller needle just makes the pick ups less noticeable.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Miamax (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Miamax
Casting On

Thanks...I decided to do it correctly and tore the whole thing out and proceeded with the correct needles..
I did it much better second time

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Just start knitting with the larger needle in the R hand, it shouldn't bunch up if you picked up the right amount of sts for the gauge with the larger one. Picking up with the smaller needle just makes the pick ups less noticeable.
Miamax is offline   Reply With Quote