Old 01-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Mink and cashmere yarn......
Hi, everyone!

I know I've been among the missing for awhile but be sure I've missed you all, as well as this site! Hopefully I'll be able to spend a little more time here!.

A special hello to Shandeh who was very helpful to me when I needed extra yarn for a contribution project I was working on. Your generosity was a great help and I appreciate it!

Now I have a question I felt this group would be most knowledgeable about. Over the last few weeks I've been selling off a lot of things I no longer need on Ebay and, like the rabid knitter I am, i couldn't resist checking out the yarn for sale on the site.

I came across something that said it was 95% mink and 5% cashmere. The listing said lace weight (but the dimensions further down the page said sport weight.) Each 50 gram skein contains 440 yards and a US #1 needle is recommended. I thought that indicated lace weight but wasn't sure.

Is anyone familiar with mink yarn? And would it be workable for socks? I wanted to make a pair of hand-knit socks for my life-saving surgeon who likes the thinner weight sock so I hoped that lace weight would work.

What say you, troops?

Thanks again, in advance, for your help!

Ruthie
Shandeh (09-05-2012)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,783 Times in 7,146 Posts
I'm not sure that mink and cashmere would be as sturdy, but I have no personal experience. Socks inevitably get holes him them though and knitting something that precious for socks... I don't know. I do understand the thinner socks though.. even fingering weight is kind of thick for my wide feet.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Hi, Jan - I already have some nylon reinforcing yarn that I planned to use for the heels and toes. And of course i'll enclose a little note to let him know he needs to have a pedicure before he puts them on his feet! LOL

I wasn't sure about the mink/cashmere yarn. It was only something I vaguely heard about a while ago. I'll let you know if I get brave enough to try it!

Thanks for your response!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I'll bet whatever is made from that yarn would be incredibly soft!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 01-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Mink & Cashmere yarn...
Hi, Jan -

Here's the link for the yarn in case you'd like to check it out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-50g-Skeins...ht_3035wt_1145

It just looked so super soft! Besides, I think anyone getting something made with mink and cashmere would get a kick out of it! :o)

Ruthie
Old 01-18-2012, 03:19 AM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Yes, definitely! I looked it up on Google and found some, too. Some were only mink though. Interesting!

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~