Old 01-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
Hollyb
Casting On

Overwhelmed!
Hello, I am new.
I am 25 years old and started knitting yesterday! I don't really know what I am doing and learning by myself. I went to hobby craft yesterday and bought some cheap wool and some size 3 3/4mm needles, I didn't really have a clue what I was buying so I just picked needles that looked similar size to what my nan used when I was little. The wool I am using says it's for size 4mm needles (didn't know what this meant til I got home).

After several hours yesterday I feel quite competent at single cast on, knit and purl using English method and casting off but all I have done is a few sample squares. It all looks quite even so I'm quite pleased with it.

I want to get started straight away onto some sort of project so I will have a finished result rather then just squares. I was thinking maybe a scarf. Does anyone have any recommendations for a very first project? There is a charity shop near me that has a massive knitting section so I am going to go in a bit and indulged in some more wool and needles. I fancy making a chunky scarf just using basic knit so I can practise keeping it even.

I am really excited about how much there is too learn in knitting and I think it's a lovely hobby for someone my age, I don't know anyone else my age that knits.
Hollyb is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,285 Times in 2,972 Posts
You've made a wonderful beginning. Having consistent tension so that the stitches come out even usually takes time but it sounds like you are over that hurdle. I think you've suggested a good idea for a scarf yourself. Using all knit rows (garter stitch) will keep the scarf lying flat without a curling edge. You could also look at sites like Pattern Central and Ravelry (free to join) or the various yarn manufacturers' sites for more ideas and tons of patterns.
Knitting is great and I'm glad you've discovered it too! Welcome to KH.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Welcome to Knitting Help!

If you are just going to practice the knit stitch then you can just cast to make it as wide as you want. Then start knitting.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,984 Times in 2,504 Posts
Hi and welcome. It always amazes me when someone picks up knitting as quickly as you seem to have done. Good start. A scarf sounds like a great idea. Have fun.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Congratulations on your fabulous start, and welcome!

This is a link to the pattern I used for my first completed project in cotton: http://www.groupepp.com/dishbout/kpa...rfavorite.html

It's simple and quick, and as you're using wool the squares can be joined together to make scarves, or blankets, or anything you can think of a use for. Once you make one, you'll know how to change the size of the squares. Make the squares bigger for blankets if you like, or smaller for coasters, computer/TV screen wipes, etc.

Good luck!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises."
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Hollyb
Casting On

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte View Post
Congratulations on your fabulous start, and welcome!

This is a link to the pattern I used for my first completed project in cotton: http://www.groupepp.com/dishbout/kpa...rfavorite.html

It's simple and quick, and as you're using wool the squares can be joined together to make scarves, or blankets, or anything you can think of a use for. Once you make one, you'll know how to change the size of the squares. Make the squares bigger for blankets if you like, or smaller for coasters, computer/TV screen wipes, etc.

Good luck!
Hello I just want to say a massive thank you for this, I have made this last night and I'm so pleased with my end result. The knit is all very even and I only dropped one stitch. This was the first time I had dropped a stitch and I didn't know how to save it so there is a tiny hole in it but other than that I am really pleased. I fancy doing something like this again but with a small pattern in the centre, making a few in different colours then stitching together to make a throw. Do you have any recommendations for a pattern?

I went to st claires hospice yesterday and I got 4 balls of wool and a set of needles (says size 3 but they look approx 6mm to me) for only 1. Sadly they do not have enough wool the same to make a proper garment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hollyb For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (01-26-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
Hollyb
Casting On

Oh and forgot to say, I went to visit my nan yesterday to tell her about my new hobby and I have never seen her so excited. She went to her cupboard and has given me a box of patterns, about 100 of them dating from 40s to late 90s. They all look very complicated but something for me to aim for! My nan can't knit any more as he arthritis in her hands is too bad but she has given me a few tips and is going to help me as much as she can. I would like to make something really special for her.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
Olha
Turning the Heel

Hi and welcome! I second joining Ravelry, a social network for crafters that allows you to find and organize everything from yarns and free patterns to people and interest groups. It could be overwhelming at first but inspiring nonetheless.

As I was told, there are about 50 million knitters in the North America, so there must be someone your age And you could search for local knitting groups too.

And it's wonderful that you have an experienced knitter by your side. She would be the type who will be thrilled with a knitted gift and find it very special indeed.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,285 Times in 2,972 Posts
Congrats on the successful first project. You are one lucky knitter to have a go-to nan for tips and questions and I'm sure she was thrilled to be told of your new hobby.
If you need to fix dropped sts in the future (or other mishaps, however infrequent) there's a great series of videos under the Free Videos tab at the top of the page, Tips, Fixing Mistakes.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
janae1987 (01-25-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
janae1987
Ribbing the Cuff

Welcome to KH!!! I just turned 25 in January and have been knitting for about 3 years! Have fun learning and dont get frustrated over a mishap...we learn through mistakes so don't give up!!!

knitchick87 on Ravelry! add me to your friends!

Happily Married since 10/05/13!!
janae1987 is offline   Reply With Quote