Old 01-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
Olha
Turning the Heel

I dislike working with light weigh yarns. Suggestions?
I started a project that is supposed to be exciting and it doesn't go well at all. It's a little newborn purple hat for The Period of Purple crying campaing for the local childrens hospital. (Not to hijack the thread but the Purple campaign teaches parents about colicky babies and how to deal with scary newborn crying).

So, the project is inspiring. But all patterns are for fine gauge yarns, in sport and DK weight. And I just can't make myself work with them. (On a few occasions I bought this type of yarn, I ended up holding the thread double). It's not that I need my knitting to be 'fast', just the feeling like it's too loopy on 3 mm needles or just too tiny on 2 mm.

That's why I am still to produce a 'nice' pair of socks with fine yarn and 2.25 mm needles. The smallest needle size I own is 3mm bamboo dpns and two random metal 2 mm our of a dpn set that I can try things with but not really use.

I wonder if it's a novice thing... Anyway, did anyone had similar problem and then tried something that turned things around? Other than just wrestling yourself into it and fighting the annoyance with every stitch?

Thanks!

Last edited by Olha : 01-24-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Olha is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I really don't like working with needles smaller than US10/6mm though I have a few smaller ones. When I use thin yarns I make scarves or shawls where you can get away with using larger needles.

If you want to double the yarn, that's fine, but that will work a lot easier if you also use a larger needle, like a 5mm to 6mm. A sport or dk weight should use a 4mm anyway, not something as small as 3mm, so maybe that's ones of the reasons you're having trouble with it.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
I didn't like working with them when I started and I still prefer a US 5 - 8. I do use the smaller ones when a specific project, like yours, calls for it, but I wouldn't want to do a lot of stuff on size 2 needles for instance. I also don't like big needles except for the occasional project. If I'm looking for a sweater pattern for gift or for me I look for worsted weight patterns.

Some special project require a special yarn or fiber. You may have to find another charity to work with.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Olha
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
A sport or dk weight should use a 4mm anyway, not something as small as 3mm, so maybe that's ones of the reasons you're having trouble with it.
Yes, you are right, there were two projects and I got them mixed up. I was using 4 mm with DK, and there was another project with merino yarn (the lining for the itchy hat) that was probably fingering (?) weight and 3 mm was too large.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Antares
Working the Gusset

I wonder--is it the project maybe and not so much the yarn?

For example, I often see (but have yet to make) shawls that are made with very fine yarn. I dream of making (well okay, having made--past tense, and more importantly, wearing) one of them some day.

I know they're worked on needles several sizes larger than what's recommended for the yarn, but I'm wondering if doing a more personal and enjoyable project (such as a shawl) might make working with the finer yarns more bearable. Plus the stitches for a shawl or similar type of project are supposed to be loopy.

Of course, this is all coming from someone who has trouble completing any size project on any size yarn, so here's your grain of salt to take with this post: .
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
Yeah, depending on what you want to make you can sometimes use much larger needles. I'm making a shawl with fingering weight yarn, but using US 8 needles. That makes it lacy of course.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

I have to ditto all of the sentiments put forward here. Yarn, maybe? Project, maybe? Novice, not so much.

Preferences aren't a bad thing or a good thing, they just are.

I don't mind hand knitting with smaller needles or yarns. I do mind large projects of any sort. Anything bigger than socks on fine gauges is a large project for me because of the number of stitches involved. Anything bigger than a baby sweater is likewise a large project. So, no blankets, baby or otherwise. No scarves or shawls. Those are just my preferences at work.

Maybe something like that is in play with you & lightweight yarns, Olha. At any rate, my feel on it is that life is too short to knit with something you don't like.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
Spokaloo
1st Leg of the Journey

Why not contact the person(s) in charge of this project and ask if it is mandatory to use the pattern(s) you were given or if you could substitute something else? There are a lot of baby patterns out there for worsted weight yarn and larger needles (US 5, 6, 7, 8) that I bet your charity would be just as happy with. I would think the main idea would be that you end up with the sizes they need or want.

But don't give up on lightweight yarn and small needles all together! Those projects can be very rewarding!
Spokaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
Olha
Turning the Heel

Thank you, everyone.

A few points to address -- I made a scarf with lace yarn and it was Ok, even though it was fuzzy sticky acrylic/mohair blend.

Maybe it is just a project... I don't think the pattern is mandatory, I will look into that.

The bottom line of today's soul searching: returned that yarn, will start over with worsted weight.

Thanks y'all, now I can sleep better
Old 01-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #10
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

And you're a busy mom who knits for her kids. You just don't have the time to use the smaller needles. It's probably the pattern and maybe the color. You're purpled out. lol
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote