Old 02-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #21
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

GG, thanks so very, very much.

I'll be honest, it's taken me 14 years to figure out that I could and how. It's been a fascinating process and I'm so grateful it finally happened. And THAT couldn't have happened without the help of you and everyone else who's helped me here.

As my daughter would say, you KH'ers are covered in awesomesauce!

And I love your new signature, BTW!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (02-01-2012)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #22
LoveBugAngel
Knitting the Flap

At work, my students all are amazed and most ask me if they can try, and ask if I can teach them!

When I am on the bus, I notice a lot of people staring.
LoveBugAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #23
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,800 Times in 7,160 Posts
Good for you, Charlotte!

I treat people as I would want to be treated when I see someone knitting. I always smile and if I have the time I ask what they are making and tell them it's going to be beautiful. Maybe that's because I'm knitter already, but we all need a little support.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (02-01-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #24
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I ride a bus to and from work. I don't knit on it but should start. It's a big waste of time just riding around on it doing nothing. I guess I'm afraid of breaking needles trying to stuff it in the small locker at work. When I do knit in public, people ask me what I'm making. One guy leaned over the bus seat behind me and watched intently. He had never seen anyone knitting. I don't think people take the time to do quality work like they used to. It used to be that every little girl at least learned how to darn socks and sew on buttons. Some learned needlework. They don't do that so much anymore.

I came across this World War 1 website. What a difference! The public was asked for socks and other winter garments for the troops. Everyone knit, including men and school children. You were considered selfish if you knit something for yourself. Too bad everybody doesn't knit like this today.

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm...m&File_Id=5721
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatoldladyinpjs For This Useful Post:
crazykntter83 (02-28-2012), salmonmac (02-03-2012), TEMA (02-06-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #25
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
As a guy knitter, I tend to get a different response than most of you ladies. Generally its disbelief. Some people laugh at me. Some people find it interesting. Some people comment about how odd it is for a guy to be doing a woman's craft. Younger people tend to think it's cooler than middle aged people and older ladies tend to thinks it pretty neat that they see a guy knitting. So it runs the gamit of reponses.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #26
Purlster
Ribbing the Cuff

Guy Knitter
I second the guy knitter reaction. As a guy knitter, I get all kinds of comments. I knit on the commuter train to Boston (one hour each way), so most people know me as a knitter by now.

Alex
MrKnitster on Ravelry.com
Guy Knitter on the Boston Commuter Rail
Purlster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #27
Antares
Working the Gusset

Wow, Charlotte! I, too, am impressed with your determination (14 years? WOW!) and your can-do attitude! What an inspiration you are!!

And to the guy knitters: Of course guys can knit--if they want to. Hey, my husband learned to crochet (he made the cat a blankie). It's just kinda unusual to see guys knitting, though, which is probably why you get the looks and comments that you do.

It's kind of like seeing a woman fishing (one who knows what she's doing)--like me! For some odd reason, fishing is seen as an "only guys" pastime, so I know exactly how you feel. But I love to fish, and comments and stares aren't going to keep me from it.

If I see someone else knitting in public (or crocheting or even quilting), I usually do the same thing that Jan does--ask them what they're making, comment on how beautiful it is, and if they seem interested in talking, find out how long they've been doing that particular craft and what their favorite project was.

PJs: Thanks for sharing the link. I have an electric coop cookbook that goes back 50 or 60 years (with quotes and stories from the magazine), and it's fascinating to read what life was like during WWII and before electricity was available in rural areas. People had such a different mindset even then, didn't they? Wish we could get some of that back!! And by the way, I'd recommend knitting on the train--even if all you take is one small project with smallish needles!!

Last edited by Antares : 02-03-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #28
janae1987
Ribbing the Cuff

im heading out for vacation next thursday and am planning to take some knitting and chrocheting along! ill have to report back how people reacted! the only place i really KIP is at work and i'm the youngest in my office....but quite a few years and i get a lot of "you knit? i didnt know girls your age knit" ...or "how did you learn?" i personally love when someone asks me how i learned to knit - the look on their face when i say youtube is HILARIOUS!!! that was before i found all the amazing videos here! my other favorite question is from my friends - why do you do that? its really pretty simple - i needed something to do while the boyfriend plays xbox! LOL!!!!!!!!!

knitchick87 on Ravelry! add me to your friends!

Happily Married since 10/05/13!!
janae1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #29
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Just had to share:

In a waiting room yesterday, I had my first brief "I don't have enough patience to knit" conversation with a non-knitter. All I could do was smile when she said that. That is the funniest thing anyone could say to me. DH snorted in laughter, and had to pretend he was laughing at the TV!

As for guy knitters: my MIL knit for soldiers during both World Wars, and taught my husband to knit when he was a boy. Unfortunately he no longer does, but he cherishes the time spent with her learning. As a result I have the value added bonus of a spouse who "gets it." My MIL was such an awesome lady!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #30
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,501 Times in 3,176 Posts
I bring my knitting along on vacation trips and often take it to a nearby park to knit in public. Often the reaction from others is, "Gosh, I wish I'd brought my knitting along."
I pulled out my needles in the doctor's office last month while waiting for my husband. The next lady through the door sat down and took out her knitting. When the third knitter came through the door, she said she'd come over and join the knitting corner. At that point we outnumbered the non-knitters.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote