Old 02-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #41
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I had to laugh today while knitting and waiting for the bus at the station. This kid sat down. He was in his twenties, backward hat, gang type attire that the kids are all wearing. My first thought was that he was maybe a trouble maker. He watched me knit and said to me that knitting was fun. His mom knits him things all the time and taught him to knit, too.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatoldladyinpjs For This Useful Post:
AngelaR (02-10-2012), justplaincharlotte (02-11-2012), MoniDew (02-09-2012)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #42
Antares
Working the Gusset

Wow! There are some great stories here about knitting in public. Thanks for sharing!

I had my own KIP experience today: We were at the doctor's office, and a nurse went on and on about how "perfect" my knitting looked. By the way, it's far from perfect, and I wasn't even knitting anything particularly beautiful or exciting--just a ski mask for my nephew. Anyway, she gave the line that she didn't have the patience to learn to knit. I, of course, immediately told her about our FAMOUS Charlotte (without mentioning her name) and her perseverance! It made Nurse Lisa stop and think!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #43
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

I find I have to keep stopping and listen to someone natter on about how their grandma knit or some great aunt crochets and what's the difference and what am I making, can I knit sweaters.... ad infinitum. I have found the best way to avoid this is to wear my ear buds with my iPod at max volume. I've found that people are reluctant to actually touch you to ask you a silly question unless it really means something to them and not just idle conversation.

The only time I enjoy yarn conversation is in the LYS with people who knit as well.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #44
Antares
Working the Gusset

Wow, Angela! That seems a little over the top to me (just my opinion). A lot of people would see this as people being friendly and trying to strike up a conversation based on common ground. I, and many others, enjoy it when people want to talk about knitting.

But to each their own, I guess.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #45
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

one time I was knitting in public, while waiting in a hospital waiting room (to take pretty, pretty pictures of my boobies). I got up to use the restroom, and when I came back out, there was another woman sitting in my seat KNITTING. I told her that she chose that chair because I had warmed up the knitting juju in it for her.

then I got my sweater back out and warmed up another chair for the next knitter to come along.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoniDew For This Useful Post:
AngelaR (02-10-2012), justplaincharlotte (02-11-2012)
Old 02-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #46
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
Wow, Angela! That seems a little over the top to me (just my opinion). A lot of people would see this as people being friendly and trying to strike up a conversation based on common ground. I, and many others, enjoy it when people want to talk about knitting.

But to each their own, I guess.
It's well known that I am not a people person and actually avoid conversing with them if at all possible. I'm like the love child of House and Sherlock Holmes. My husband came up with that observation.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #47
Antares
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by AngelaR View Post
It's well known that I am not a people person and actually avoid conversing with them if at all possible. I'm like the love child of House and Sherlock Holmes. My husband came up with that observation.
Hey, it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round, and you obviously fit perfectly in your particular niche!!

It's a bit of a shame, though, that all these friendly people who want to talk to you about knitting are bothering you when they could be having great conversations with other knitters!

I dunno--maybe you're like those people who don't like cats. You know the ones: They hate cats, and yet all cat's in the vicinity make a beeline for them!

Old 02-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #48
laikabear
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
I dunno--maybe you're like those people who don't like cats. You know the ones: They hate cats, and yet all cat's in the vicinity make a beeline for them!

It's because when the cat walks into the room, the only person that doesn't look directly at the cat is the cat-hater. All the cat lovers stare at the cat in delight. Feeling threatened, the cat walks right to the non-threatening person.

I've seen it happen with my Mom and Dad - they both cannot stand cats. It's pretty funny to watch their skin crawl as the poor cat lovingly weaves in and out of their legs.

Maybe the curious public is the same way... Angela, try staring directly at anyone who sees you knitting and see if it repels them!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #49
ShanaHoo
1st Leg of the Journey

We are having a really slow couple of weeks at work, since we have had to relocate. I mean REALLY SLOW. I mean so slow that at 9:30am we start asking if it is lunch time yet because that is the only thing we have to do all day.

I've been knitting at work for about 2 years. Everyone knows I knit and almost everyone has given the "I wish I could do that/that looks so cool/I tried to learn once but" speech at one time or another. Since we've had soooooo much down time lately, we decided to take advantage and have knitting class at work this afternoon. Another girl I work with and I taught 5 other girls how to cast on and work the knit stitch. No one cried (though one girl did scream a little bit when she accidentally slid all of her stitches off of the needle) and no one put any eyes out, so I deem it a success. A couple of the girls even said they were going to stop at the craft store after work and get supplies to practice with.

I officially declare this day my most favorite moment of knitting in public.
justplaincharlotte (02-11-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 01:31 AM   #50
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,760 Times in 2,324 Posts
Originally Posted by ShanaHoo View Post
We are having a really slow couple of weeks at work, since we have had to relocate. I mean REALLY SLOW. I mean so slow that at 9:30am we start asking if it is lunch time yet because that is the only thing we have to do all day.

I've been knitting at work for about 2 years. Everyone knows I knit and almost everyone has given the "I wish I could do that/that looks so cool/I tried to learn once but" speech at one time or another. Since we've had soooooo much down time lately, we decided to take advantage and have knitting class at work this afternoon. Another girl I work with and I taught 5 other girls how to cast on and work the knit stitch. No one cried (though one girl did scream a little bit when she accidentally slid all of her stitches off of the needle) and no one put any eyes out, so I deem it a success. A couple of the girls even said they were going to stop at the craft store after work and get supplies to practice with.

I officially declare this day my most favorite moment of knitting in public.

Party in honor of your most favorite moment of knitting in public.

That is totally beyond cool.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote