Old 02-28-2012, 03:54 AM   #61
sampson001
Casting On

Knitting in Public
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
I was just reading about Olha's incident while knitting in public (What'cha Knittin' thread), and it got me wondering what other knitters have experienced.

So what comments have you encountered while knitting in public? Have they been mostly positive? Negative? Neutral?

I'd love to hear about some of them!
I usually knit when I am at the hairdresser and the hairdressers usually come up to me and ask what I am knitting. So let them know and I have only had positive feedback.
sampson001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sampson001 For This Useful Post:
Antares (02-28-2012)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #62
TEMA
Turning the Heel

Just did my first knitting in public after many years. It was at the hospital waiting room where I knitted some socks while my husband was having a medical procedure done. I was there about 3 hours and the people came and went and no one seemed to notice me at all. Looking back, I'm thinking that's a good thing.
I was quite nervous... but what else could I do? It was either knit or die of boredom.
TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #63
Olha
Turning the Heel

My recent KIP experience was in a lovely local cafe where they sell local/organic foods and there is a corner with toys and books for kids. Love this place.

Anyway, nobody said a word or stared even though I performed the following strange activities: joined a ball of yarn by felting ends together (using jasmine tea), shaped sock's toe on dpns, grafted it, ca-a-arefully checked that the socks match, weaved in ends, pulled out 2 more pairs of socks, put them on the table and took a picture, after which packed them in individual ziplocks, wrote notes and stick them in with the socks.

I also might have hummed something or sung quietly in my language...

I really wanted to make an obvious joke that nobody talks to crazy people -- that's why I had no comments --, but instead I want to say that it felt oh, so good to be able to do all that and nobody at that place minded one bit.
Antares (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #64
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,375 Times in 3,058 Posts
Good going! If I see you on a DC bus or on the Metro, I'll say hi (and probably take out my knitting, too).
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #65
Antares
Working the Gusset

Olha, You're a hoot! (I mean a good hoot!)

Sometimes it just depends on the location when doing strange (knitting or otherwise) things in public, I guess.

Just curious, what is your language?
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:30 AM   #66
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Originally Posted by Antares View Post

Just curious, what is your language?
I was curious, too. Love your story and also Chris's story.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #67
Olha
Turning the Heel

Ukrainian. That's what I was humming http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC5az14mJCY

Not that you have to listen to live soft rock + traditional musical instrument in a different language, but isn't it neat that I can share? And if you do listen, imagine a much quieter, meditative version. He is singing 'I will fly, I will fly... after it'.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #68
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

I love the melody, but especially the instrument the woman is playing. It has such a rich interesting sound. Is it a type of harp?
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #69
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,595 Posts
Thanks for the link. I'm so glad you shared. I enjoyed listening. What is the instrument she's playing? Sometimes it has an almost otherworldy sound. It's beautiful.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #70
Olha
Turning the Heel

Well, thanks for asking It's not really a harp, cause it has a wooden body sort of like a guitar. It's called bandura (there is no translation), and it's our traditional original instrument. Because of the wide range (it has 55 strings) anything from Metallica to Lady Gaga can be played on it. It sounds sometimes like three guitars at the same time. Here is the proof

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1U4q...eature=related

I know it's a knitting forum but just can't pass the opportunity to share something really, really beautiful. The composition is by the Ukrainian composer. I met the performer here, in Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoUHT1MGOx0

ETA: if mods decide that it's too many irrelevant youtube videos, I would only ask to leave that last one.