Old 02-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
laikabear
Turning the Heel

Do Gauge Swatches "expire?"
I know, weird question...

I am really trying to churn through those UFOs this year. Out of 8 UFOs, I am still working on 3. (Not bad for a month, eh?).

One of them is barely even qualifying for a UFO - it's Paton's Urban Aran. All I've done is swatched. I made the swatches about 3 years ago. I recently got them out and washed & blocked them, but now I'm wondering... could my swatches have expired?

I wonder if my tension has changed in the past 3 years... do you think a swatch has to be recent to be relevant?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-03-2012, 02:13 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,782 Times in 7,145 Posts
I would think one consideration is how long you've been knitting. If you've been knitting for 20 yrs your tension is probably fairly consistent. If you've been knitting for 3 then maybe not.

Personally if had been that long I might just frog and use the yarn for something else. If it's something you like and you were nearly done though it might be worthwhile to put in a lifeline and just start knitting to see how it looks.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:48 AM   #3
laikabear
Turning the Heel

I'd only been knitting about 2 years when I made the swatch, so I think things still could have changed. Oh well, by the time I am ready to tackle this sweater it will probably be too hot here in CA anyway, and I'll have to leave it for another year!

I am still slaving away on Lusekofte... very concerned about the finishing on that one!
Old 02-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
I knit a sweater....it was awesome...but I decided, after a while that my skills had improved and I wanted to frog it and redo it. I thought to myself...let me just frog down to just below the sleeves (it was a bottom up cardi) and I can fix what I didn't like about the sleeves....

Nope...My tension and gauge had changed so much...I had to frog the whole thing, and I barely got away with it...as I didn't have enough mats to finish it again...and I couldn't get more. *shrugs*....

I guess what I mean to say is, your gauge can change for many reasons...experience, weather, pain etc. I try not to leave UFOs...I keep one little and one big project on the go at a time...a) to make sure I don't have loose ends all over the place, but b) to make sure the story above doesn't happen again..

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crycket For This Useful Post:
laikabear (02-04-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:

Cool dragon thingie, Crycket!

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote