Old 02-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
I do a couple things to create less stress on my toys..I mean tools.

1. I don't yank on the needle to pull the needle and cable through the stitches. I grab the cable below the join and pull.

2. When I put the needles on my cable I put the key in the hole and always hold it on the metal parts so I'm careful not to twist the cable.

3. If I'm doing magic loop I prefer to have a long enough cable so it's not bent close the join. So it actually loops.

I haven't had a problem with my needles and cables in a long time now that I take care of them. I'm not implying that you aren't handling yours correctly either. Sometimes freak things happen that we have no control over.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #12
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,098 Times in 2,608 Posts
I've been paying attention to how I do things, I try not to yank and to pull them gently when I do pull. The problem with what I've been using seems to be that because of the way the cord and needle tip are connected, just holding them stresses the end of the cord and is what caused it to break. I end up with a lot of stitches just at the join, otherwise I have to move everything over about every 5 or 6 stitches. There may not be a lot of difference with a thinner cable but I think the stitches should slide more easily. I knit Continental and that may be part of it, I've been practicing the English style but just can't seem to get the hang of it. I thought that maybe if I could learn English I would hold the needles differently. So far it's looking like a lost cause, I just can't manage purls yet.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
lenaznap
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
1. I don't yank on the needle to pull the needle and cable through the stitches. I grab the cable below the join and pull.
When I do magic loop, about half the time I slip a stitch marker at the beginning of each half of the round to make it easier to fish the loop out when it goes back into the stitches (as when trying on an incomplete sock for example, or when pulling the knitting back from the needles to store in my bag). It seems easier that way to me to just deal with the two stitch markers every row than to count stitches to half again and dig my fat fingers between the stitches to grab onto the cord.

However, I find that when done with one side and switching to the other I also developed the habit of pulling on the convenient handle of the stitch holder on the other end to help me pull the needle through the stitches (until the back end of the needle is into the stitches far enough to push from the pointy part).

What you write here makes me think I may be doing premature damage to my cord with this method now.

Should I be more careful pulling the cord this way? Is the stitch marker "handle" putting too much stress on a small part of the cord than is good for it?
lenaznap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #14
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Good questions, lenaznap. Thanks for asking them, I want to know too.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

I'm so glad you didn't have to frog your piece! But oy vey! That cable...

Just a thought on English purl that might work for you: after you wrap the yarn, keep the needles touching and slide the LH tip over the RH one as you work the stitch off. The working yarn is trapped between the needles and can't go anywhere but onto the RH one.

This helps me keep the stitch from coming undone as I move it to the RH needle.

Hope this helps!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #16
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Quote:
keep the needles touching and slide the LH tip over the RH one as you work the stitch off
Hey, I actually managed a whole row of purls--10 sts!! Thanks for the tip, I'm trying it out, maybe it will help me too. Working with my right hand to wrap the yarn is just feeling extremely awkward and tensioning the yarn is really hard. I'm not sure I can ever get comfortable with it. Still, I think if I can manage to get to the point where I can fairly confidently knit this way, it's a good idea.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #17
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It may ease your mind a little to know you don't ha ve to absolutely have half the sts in the front and half in the back. ML works fine if they're not an equal number or if they're 1/3, 2/3.

When I ML, I don't finish all the sts on the L needle before looping. I knit to the last 2 or 3, slide the sts around to fill it up and pull the cord through on the L side, then loop the R needle. Doing this every few rounds minimizes ladders

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #18
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
Originally Posted by lenaznap View Post

Should I be more careful pulling the cord this way? Is the stitch marker "handle" putting too much stress on a small part of the cord than is good for it?
I'm not sure what you mean by "stitch marker" and "handle"... I use the little round metal stitch markers so there is no handle to grab..

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #19
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Oh, I'm so excited now!

Your item was processed through our SPRINGFIELD, MA 01152 facility on February 01, 2012 at 6:52 pm. per USPS.

My new needles are in the mail.

I feel like a little kid waiting for a new toy.

I'll be glad to get the new cable for the old needles but I'm more eager for the new ones. I wonder which will get here first.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #20
lenaznap
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "stitch marker" and "handle"... I use the little round metal stitch markers so there is no handle to grab..
I use stitch markers that are little plastic circles similar to these.

Since they are used as stitch markers, the diameter of the circles are larger than the diameter of the needle (so they can be slipped over the needle and slide freely among the stitches).

Since they are larger than the needles themselves, the diameter of the stitch holders are much, much larger than the diameter of the cord between the circular interchangeable needles, and they slide even more easily over the cord than they do over the needles.

In fact, they not only slide over the cord, but hang off of it a little bit between the stitches.

This makes it very easy to grab as a handle to pull the cord from between the stitches (at least easier than reaching between the stitches with my fingers and trying to pull out a loop of cord).

So the round stitch markers are the handle I mean.
lenaznap is offline   Reply With Quote