Old 02-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
hila
Casting On

Is it possible to follow patterns knitting in the Eastern European style?
I was taught to knit in the Eastern European method but only learned the very basics: cast-on, knit, and purl. I want to pick up knitting again but all the patterns I've come across online are tailored to English or Continental knitters. Is it still possible for me to follow these patterns without learning another knitting style? I've found instructions and videos about how to handle K2tog and SSK but what do I do about stitches such as k2tog tbl, p tbl, YO, etc? Is it just a matter of doing the opposite of what's written?
hila is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-08-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

The easiest way to do the tbl is to change the stitch orientation from the right to the left and do it the way an English/Continental knitter would do. The ktbl is done as a SSK. The yarn over is done from back to front instead of front to back. The only other thing you would need to know is that a Kfb increase for us is a Kbf. When in doubt, change the stitch orientation and do it the way a Continental knitter would. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. Ravelry has also just started an Eastern European group where you can get more answers to your questions.

http://www.ravelry.com/groups/easter...style-knitters

Cindy
*I'm an Eastern European knitter*

Edit: If you do switch the few stitches you're working with from right to left to do it as a Continental knitter would, wrap the yarn around the needle the way we normally do or those few stitches will be backwards on the next row.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Another group you might like is Ravelry's Exotic Knitting Styles.

http://www.ravelry.com/groups/exotic-knitting-styles
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The only thing that may be different is the decreases. So if a pattern says ssk/skp you'd k2tog and where it says k2tog, you'd ssk or skp. For a stitch that should be worked tbl, just work through the front loop; tbl makes a twisted st and yours will just be twisted the other direction - not crucial to the pattern. K2togtbl is normally a way to make a left leaning dec like ssk, so just k2tog for it. A yo is just wrapping the yarn around the needle the same way you make a knit or purl stitch so nothing different is needed there.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Olha
Turning the Heel

Second that. It is definitely possible to learn based on the Continental style. It's indeed about the stitch orientation on the needle.

I was thinking about a practical example about decreases and increases... If I knit socks or hats in the round and need to do k2tog or ssk, my stitches are the same as those of a continental knitter. They moslty 'turn' in stockinnette because of the way I purl. So yeah, it will be a bit different with sweaters and I would probably just turn those few stitches 'to look continental' too to avoid any guesswork.

Hope it helps.

ETA: after a while as you get more practice it won't be an issue and you will as easily understand instuctions for English style knitters.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

I knit in the Eastern Style and I've had no problem at all. I just have to orient myself when doing increases and decreases (Annie Modisett's Combined Chart works well). I did not know about the Exotic Knitting here. I just knitted combined and had to find a way to make my stitches how I wanted them and Eastern fit my style. I can't knit Continental to save my life.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
dukeofpurl
Casting On

grumperina.com/table.htm has a link to a pdf file that will surely help you. Have fun!!