Old 02-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
JenniferMelberg
Casting On

Crochet Edging Question
Hi all,
I am knitting a shawl and it ends with crochet edging. I have never crocheted before. It seems pretty easy in that all I am doing is chaining. The last row before the edging was knitted. Then the pattern reads as follows:

*Insert crochet hook through the next 3 sts and sl off needle, yo and draw through all sts on hook, chain 7; rep from * across to last 3 sts, insert crochet hook through the last 3 sts and sl off needle, yo and draw through all sts on hook. Fasten off.

I figured out the first part up to the chain part. I have one stich on the crochet hook from the yarn over. When I looked on the Internet on how to do the chain stitch it showed how to begin chaining (kind of like casting on) and I didn't know where to look for chaining the next row. My question is: to chain 7 do I use the stitch already on the crochet hook and chain 7 brand new stitches with the loose (working) yarn, or do I slip the next seven stiches onto the crochet hook (one at a time) and use those to chain? i.e. slip the next knitted stich onto the crochet hook, chain, slip the next knitted stitch onto the crochet hook, chain for 7 times? Does anyone know of any good videos or picture sites to see how to crochet for beginners? My mind is in knitting mode.
Thanks for any help.
JenniferMelberg is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,045 Times in 2,557 Posts
Quote:
My question is: to chain 7 do I use the stitch already on the crochet hook and chain 7 brand new stitches with the loose (working) yarn, or do I slip the next seven stiches onto the crochet hook (one at a time) and use those to chain? i.e. slip the next knitted stich onto the crochet hook, chain, slip the next knitted stitch onto the crochet hook, chain for 7 times?
You're working a dec on those 3 sts. Yarn over and pull the yarn through all 3 at once. Then, you have one loop on the hook. At that point you yarn over and pull the loop through 7 times with the working yarn. The loop you start out with won't count in the 7. Move the next 3 knit sts to the hook and repeat the process.

I can see it in my head. I hope this helps. If not, I'm sure someone else can say it better. I also hope I understand what you're asking.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
JenniferMelberg (02-09-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, doing this chain is just like if you were making a chain to start a piece; instead of a slip knot you just have the one loop on the hook. So reach out and grab the yarn, pull it through and you've done one chain. Do it 6 more times and there's your ch 7. Then hook through the next 3 sts, yo and pull it through all 3 sts again. It's as if you CO sts, you don't use the existing ones, you make new one.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
JenniferMelberg (02-09-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
JenniferMelberg
Casting On

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
You're working a dec on those 3 sts. Yarn over and pull the yarn through all 3 at once. Then, you have one loop on the hook. At that point you yarn over and pull the loop through 7 times with the working yarn. The loop you start out with won't count in the 7. Move the next 3 knit sts to the hook and repeat the process.

I can see it in my head. I hope this helps. If not, I'm sure someone else can say it better. I also hope I understand what you're asking.
Thanks for your help. I do understand!
The Following User Says Thank You to JenniferMelberg For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (02-09-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
JenniferMelberg
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Yes, doing this chain is just like if you were making a chain to start a piece; instead of a slip knot you just have the one loop on the hook. So reach out and grab the yarn, pull it through and you've done one chain. Do it 6 more times and there's your ch 7. Then hook through the next 3 sts, yo and pull it through all 3 sts again. It's as if you CO sts, you don't use the existing ones, you make new one.
Thanks for your help!