Old 02-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
Decision time on socks
I'm knitting toe up, 2 @ a time socks. Which type of heel would be best?

I've done short row heels before, I know I can do them. I sort of was assuming this is what I'd do, I guess.

I've done a heel flap on top down socks, I don't know if you can do a heel flap on toe up socks. Can you?

I was just looking at different types of heels at knitpicks http://www.knitpicks.com/images/NING...elsandtoes.pdf and now I wonder, should I do something different? Maybe I want to learn a new technique. Maybe I just want to improve my skills on something I've already learned. Decisions, decisions.

What kind of heel would you do on a toe up sock?

Usually with ribbing I'd use a smaller needle size than for the rest of the item I'm making. I don't have a smaller needle size this time. When I work the ribbing for the sock top, might I want to decrease a few stitches to compensate?

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
Olha
Turning the Heel

For my kids, I made Cat Bordhi's Sweet Tomato Heel at the suggestion of Lady in PJs, it's one type of a short row heel. But I prefer a flap heel for adult socks. I think the fit is better. I know you can make a flap heel for toe up socks but I haven't tried.
GrumpyGramma (02-09-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by Olha View Post
For my kids, I made Cat Bordhi's Sweet Tomato Heel at the suggestion of Lady in PJs, it's one type of a short row heel. But I prefer a flap heel for adult socks. I think the fit is better. I know you can make a flap heel for toe up socks but I haven't tried.
Thanks. I like the idea of the slip stich heel. That's why I was thinking a heel flap. I've a number of rounds to go before I get to the heel, I just thought for once I'd actually think ahead a little.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

It wasn't me with the tomato heel suggestion. I thought it was too much work and time consuming. I came across this flap heel turn for toe up socks. Haven't tried it yet. The one that I've been doing lately that seems to do well is Priscilla Wild's No Wraps heel turn.

http://tiajudy.com/putmeon.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu5YAKsAEpY
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatoldladyinpjs For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (02-10-2012), justplaincharlotte (02-11-2012), TEMA (02-13-2012)
Old 02-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
It wasn't me with the tomato heel suggestion. I thought it was too much work and time consuming. I came across this flap heel turn for toe up socks. Haven't tried it yet. The one that I've been doing lately that seems to do well is Priscilla Wild's No Wraps heel turn.

http://tiajudy.com/putmeon.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu5YAKsAEpY
Thanks for the links. I might try the flap heel sometime but this time I'll go ahead and do the short rows as in the video. I know the instructions for doing the heel on dpns should be easily translated to working on circs but somehow I get lost somewhere and I'll just take the opportunity to make sure I don't make holes. I have discovered I like working with skinnier yarn, I thought I would always stick mostly with worsted weight because it would be easier to handle. I think what I'm using might be dk weight, it's making a nice thick sock that will go well in my hiking boots that have to have thick socks. I'm confident my sock weight yarn should be no problem when I get the right needles for it, I played with it a little already. I think I have a strong potential to become a sock addict.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:30 AM   #6
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

GG,

I'm a short row heel girl, but will eventually put my nose to the grindstone to heel flaps on my toe ups.

As for the ribbing, you could ktbl to tighten it up. To me it's not as pretty, but it is effective. But it could just be how I knit that makes it look wonky...

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (02-11-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

I got my smaller needles in the mail yesterday so when I get to the ribbing, I'll switch down a size. I like these Cubics I've been using, they're easy to hold, nice to work with. The one thing I don't like is that the yarn tends to hang up where the cord and needle point join and the actual sock yarn didn't work well on them so I didn't order the Cubics in the smaller size. The Cubics are size three the nickel plated are size 2. I might need to ktbl, if so it'll be fine. Thanks, Charlotte.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I got my smaller needles in the mail yesterday so when I get to the ribbing, I'll switch down a size.

Quote:
I like these Cubics I've been using, they're easy to hold, nice to work with. The one thing I don't like is that the yarn tends to hang up where the cord and needle point join and the actual sock yarn didn't work well on them so I didn't order the Cubics in the smaller size.
Now you've really got me intrigued, the little voice in my head keeps whispering "must try, must try." And it's a test of my willpower not to place an order NOW.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
Old 02-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Quote:
Now you've really got me intrigued, the little voice in my head keeps whispering "must try, must try." And it's a test of my willpower not to place an order NOW.
Codependents?

When I got the set to try the different needles I didn't get the set with the Cubics. I wish I had. I wonder how they do. The stitches do tend to snag up when they move over the connection. The shape is very easy on my hands. My hands say put up with the rough sliding of stitches.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:38 AM   #10
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Codependents?
Quite probably. My best friend says I'm 'one sick twist,' especially when it comes to things I get passionate about. I kind of like it that way.

Quote:
When I got the set to try the different needles I didn't get the set with the Cubics. I wish I had. I wonder how they do. The stitches do tend to snag up when they move over the connection. The shape is very easy on my hands. My hands say put up with the rough sliding of stitches.
Have you given their CS a call yet? It may just be that particular set with a wonky join...

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
- Elizabeth Zimmermann