Old 02-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
GardenOctopus
Casting On

What do I need to know to knit a purse?
Hi there. I'm a newbie knitter who has, so far, only knitted a garter stitch scarf and a roman stitch headband, but I am really eager to keep going. My heart is set on my next project being a simple purse. Right now, all I have are two, one-sided, 5.5mm needles and two balls of yarn, so I'm guessing that rules out the rounded drawstring I like so much. My second choice was just... well, a square with a strap on it. ^^

I looked for some patterns online, but they all have different instructions! Like, some would say to make the knitted handle the side/seam of the bag; and others would say to fold the knitting in half, seam it, then add the handles to the top edges. Is there a proper way to do it? Or a "better way", I should say.

I just want a little bag to hold my eReader, maybe a wallet, and perhaps a Nintendo DS. :3
Also, the lining: is that necessary? Is there a sturdy pattern I could use that would render that unnecessary? Or maybe lining it is simpler than I am thinking. My main issue is that I don't have any money to go out and buy material for a lining. :[

Are there any techniques I should learn before I attempt a purse? So far, I only know knit, purl, cast on, bind off, and how to seam edges together.

Thank you in advance for any advice and replies! ^^
GardenOctopus is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,985 Times in 2,505 Posts
Hi. Welcome to KH!

Have you looked at ravelry.com for patterns you like? If you find a pattern that looks doable for you, you can always get lots of help here. It could also give you the opportunity to learn some new things. I think a tote bag might be what you're looking for.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
There are purses that you can knit flat and then seam. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of bag patterns.

Lining- If you knit the fabric tight enough it should be fine without a lining. That means using a smaller needle size so the stitches are tighter. It may eventually wear through easier than if it was lined though.

Here's a couple patterns that might work. Not sure about the size on these, but since they are knit flat you can cast on less if you need to.
http://classiceliteyarns.com/WebLetter/197/Issue197.php
http://www.knittersrow.com/2009/06/22/red-purse/

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:51 AM   #4
GardenOctopus
Casting On

Thank you for the links. :]
I guess I'll be looking in to how to line purses, then. I don't want my beautiful creation wearing out before I can use it!
I chose to do something like the first purse linked, minus the flowers. It seems simple enough. Off I go!
GardenOctopus is offline   Reply With Quote