Old 02-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
sihalman
Casting On

Necessary to wash before use?
Hi everyone! This is my first try at this forum and I'm pretty new to knitting so go easy on me.

I just finished my first blanket (and did a little happy dance) for my one year-old cousin. I used washable acrylic yarn. Is it important that I wash it before I give it to her? Or is it alright to wait and have her mom wash it when it gets dirty?

Thanks so much!!!
sihalman is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,805 Times in 7,164 Posts
I usually wash baby stuff before gifting, but I do use a gentle wash cycle and a gentle detergent. I figure with all the time it's been in my hands and in the air with dust, pet hair, smoke, etc it's a good idea.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
sihalman (02-14-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
sihalman
Casting On

Thank you so much! That's kind of what I was thinking. Unfortunately, I have to pack the blanket with all of my other hair-covered clothing to take it to her, so I think I'll try to wash it at the hotel. Do you usually put your things in the dryer or lay them flat?
sihalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
With acrylic, dry in the dryer, but just until dry. Washing an FO evens out the sts so it tends to look nicer too.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
sihalman (02-14-2012)
Old 02-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,805 Times in 7,164 Posts
Originally Posted by sihalman View Post
Thank you so much! That's kind of what I was thinking. Unfortunately, I have to pack the blanket with all of my other hair-covered clothing to take it to her, so I think I'll try to wash it at the hotel. Do you usually put your things in the dryer or lay them flat?
The only trouble with the hotel is their washers usually aren't gentle. You could still wash it at home and it will be fine. Maybe it will fit in a ziploc bag? If not any bag or even just covered with tissue or something would be fine.

I usually only lay stuff flat if it's wool. Since I always use washable yarns for babies and children I usually toss in the dryer. The exception might be a delicate lace pattern that might get caught on something. But that's never come up for me.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:56 AM   #6
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,260 Times in 2,752 Posts
Hi. What a terrific gift. I agree with everyone else, it should be washed. I doubt anything it would get on it after you wash it would be a problem. After washing acrylic yarns I've used look and feel nicer.

Quote:
This is my first try at this forum and I'm pretty new to knitting so go easy on me.
I find that everyone here is really wonderful. My questions get good answers, usually more quickly than I'd expect. You found a great a great forum.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
sihalman (02-14-2012)