Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 03:22 AM   #1
EKC1975
Casting On
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
help between the *asterisks*
I'm foggy on reading my pattern and hoping someone can help?

here's two excerpts from my pattern:

[i]Loosly cast on 145 (167) sts. Begin pattern stitch. (Repeat of 11 plus 13)

What does "repeat of 11 plus 13 mean"? There appeat to only be 4 rows in the pattern so I'm not sure what they're referring to.

Also see the next excerpt:

Row 4: (RS)k1,ssk,k3 yo,k1, *yo, k3, k2otog, ssk, k3, yo, k1,* repeat to last 6 sts, end yo, k3, k2tog, slip1.


Can somebody break that down for me? Specifically, which part do I repeat (before **, between **, all of row 4???)?

many thanks!
Emily

Last edited by EKC1975 : 02-19-2012 at 03:32 AM. Reason: added another line from pattern
EKC1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-19-2012, 03:58 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Jan in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 37,135
Thanks: 1,655
Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Originally Posted by EKC1975 View Post
I'm foggy on reading my pattern and hoping someone can help?

here's two excerpts from my pattern:

[i]Loosly cast on 145 (167) sts. Begin pattern stitch. (Repeat of 11 plus 13)

What does "repeat of 11 plus 13 mean"? There appeat to only be 4 rows in the pattern so I'm not sure what they're referring to.
When a pattern tells you that there is a repeat of 11 plus 13 it means that the actual pattern is created by those 11 stitches. The 13 are "supporting actors" if you will.. they sometimes form the border or in between the sections of pattern. Somewhere on your pattern it should give you the pattern detail.

Quote:
Also see the next excerpt:

Row 4: (RS)k1,ssk,k3 yo,k1, *yo, k3, k2otog, ssk, k3, yo, k1,* repeat to last 6 sts, end yo, k3, k2tog, slip1.

Can somebody break that down for me? Specifically, which part do I repeat (before **, between **, all of row 4???)?
On Row 4 you do the part before the * once. Then you repeat the portions between the * till the last 6 stitches and then you do that last bit on them. So the part that is red you will repeat several times till you have 6 stitches left. Then you do the last bit.

Row 4: (RS)k1,ssk,k3 yo,k1, *yo, k3, k2otog, ssk, k3, yo, k1,* repeat to last 6 sts, end yo, k3, k2tog, slip1.
__________________
Jan

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
EKC1975 (02-20-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
salmonmac
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,139
Thanks: 608
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,981 Posts
Row 4 is a good example of the pattern repeat Jan explained. If you count the sts alona the row there are 7sts * 11sts * 6sts. There are 13sts total on the ends and an 11st pattern between the asterisks that repeats 12 or 14 times depending on the size you're making.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
EKC1975 (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
EKC1975
Casting On
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VERY helpful!
Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Row 4 is a good example of the pattern repeat Jan explained. If you count the sts alona the row there are 7sts * 11sts * 6sts. There are 13sts total on the ends and an 11st pattern between the asterisks that repeats 12 or 14 times depending on the size you're making.

Thanks to both of the previous replies! It was immensely helpful and i think I successfully completed the first row of pattern stitch.
EKC1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset
 
fatoldladyinpjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wisconsin near Green Bay
Posts: 1,563
Thanks: 157
Thanked 521 Times in 422 Posts
[i]Loosly cast on 145 (167) sts. Begin pattern stitch. (Repeat of 11 plus 13)

You probably already know this, but I thought I'd point it out in case you didn't. This is a multisize pattern. It's helpful to print it out, read through the entire thing, and circle the numbers for your size.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:13 AM.