Old 02-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
jem6818
Casting On

beginner question
I am beginner knitting a garter stitch scarf. The yarn is rendezvous and has 3 different textures. A friend told me that to make a nice edge (no bumps) after I have cast on I can purl one and then knit the remainder of the row, turn the needle purl one and knit the remainder of the row. It is just not looking correct. The edges are not straight. I feel like I am missing a step. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
jem6818 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I think she might have meant you slip the first stitch purlwise and knit the rows, but you don't need to do that. You could be adding sts by not moving the yarn between the needles from the purl to the knit, so just knit every stitch and the edges will be fine.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
jem6818
Casting On

you are correct. that sounds familiar. I know I don't need to do that but could you tell me what slipping it purl wise is. I am assuming I purl one and then move it to the other needle
Old 02-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,779 Times in 7,145 Posts
Normally, if you really do not want the normal "bump" that shows at the end of the row you can slip the first stitch with the yarn in front then move it back and knit the rest of the row including the last stitch. Then slip again when you turn to start the next row. To slip purlwise you stick the right needle straight into the next stitch and just move it to the right needle without knitting it. It can be done with the working yarn in front or back, but for the chain edge it's best in front.

However, with that yarn I don't think it'll make much difference. The texture will hide any small details anyway. I'd just knit all stitches starting from the first one.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
jem6818 (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
jem6818
Casting On

thanks . just learning how to use this thread. that sounds familiar. I know I don't need to do that but can you tell me what slipping the stitch purl wise is. Do I pearl and move stitch to the other needle so I am not adding stitches
Old 02-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,779 Times in 7,145 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Normally, if you really do not want the normal "bump" that shows at the end of the row you can slip the first stitch with the yarn in front then move it back and knit the rest of the row including the last stitch. Then slip again when you turn to start the next row. To slip purlwise you stick the right needle straight into the next stitch and just move it to the right needle without knitting it. It can be done with the working yarn in front or back, but for the chain edge it's best in front.
I did tell you..the bold part. Apparently you can also slip the last stitch instead, but I don't know if it's purlwise or knitwise doing it that way.

Here's more info -
http://techknitting.blogspot.com/200...-selvedge.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzDZ6OjCU0

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
jem6818 (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
To slip a stitch is to move it from one needle to the other without actually working it; purlwise means to slip it as if you were going to purl it, but you don't. For a textured yarn you probably won't get a smoothed edge by slipping it, so just knit the first stitch instead.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote