Old 02-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
elgee
Casting On

advice for newbie
Hello!

I'm close to finishing my very first scarf and was wondering what you recommend my next project should be. Another scarf? or a hat? I want to continue to continue to grow and be challenged in my knitting skills. I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!
Elgee
elgee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
What would you like to do? A hat can be done on straight needles unless you want to learn knitting in the round at the same time as increases and decreases.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
elgee
Casting On

Hi Suzeeq,

I would like to learn how to knit in the round with increases and decreases. I'm wondering if I need to work on basic skills using straight needles before I attempt knitting in the round. What do you think?
Old 02-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It's never a bad idea to just practice and play with the yarn - I did lots of that when I first started and still do. You can take any leftover or inexpensive yarn and do a sampler. Go to the Increases and Decreases page and practice the different ones; the Tips page has videos of the different stitches - garter, stockinette, rib and seed. CO about 20 or 24 sts and just go for it.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
elgee
Casting On

Thanks suzeeq!
Old 02-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,099 Times in 2,609 Posts
What do you want to do, that is the big question. Hats, mittens, socks, a sweater, afghan......Just about anything you choose will help expand your skill set. Should you get stuck, the experts here will help you out, I'm sure. Enjoy!

I love knitting in the round. I've done it a number of times now and still it fascinates me. I started on circular needles but recently tried dpns and I liked working that way too.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
elgee
Casting On

I think my next project will be a hat. Thanks for the great advice Grumpygramma.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
ShanaHoo
1st Leg of the Journey

This is COMPLETELY off-topic, but I ALWAYS read your username as GrumpyGrampa. I think it is because my Gramma is incredibly sweet 100% of the time but my Grampa is a grumpy old man (I always think of him as a cross between Red Foreman from That 70's Show and R. Lee Ermey from History Channel's Mail Call). My sister and I told him we were going to start callling him Grumppa. In my brain, if it starts with Grumpy it ends in Grampa! (Despite this, I still love him bunches) Anyway, I see it and think, "Woah, a knitting Grampa?!" and re-read it.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,099 Times in 2,609 Posts
We interrupt this thread to bring you the following message:

Originally Posted by ShanaHoo View Post
This is COMPLETELY off-topic, but I ALWAYS read your username as GrumpyGrampa. I think it is because my Gramma is incredibly sweet 100% of the time but my Grampa is a grumpy old man (I always think of him as a cross between Red Foreman from That 70's Show and R. Lee Ermey from History Channel's Mail Call). My sister and I told him we were going to start callling him Grumppa. In my brain, if it starts with Grumpy it ends in Grampa! (Despite this, I still love him bunches) Anyway, I see it and think, "Woah, a knitting Grampa?!" and re-read it.
ROFLMAO!!!!!!

That's a great story, I'm glad you shared it.

I guess I'm not really all that grumpy, it started as a joke with my GKs. Now I tell them I have a reputation to maintain. Finding a user name that isn't taken is tricky; this one is generally available. I think knitting grandpas would be wonderful, I'm sure there are some out there.

We now return you to your regular scheduled postings.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote