Old 02-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

FO: Bear dresses
Returning to knitting after so many years I'm back to square 1. But the internet has changed everything!! This is so much more fun. And I'm so grateful for all the helpful people out there

I'm trying to knit clothes for my old dolls and teddy bear. I have one 18-inch composition doll (she's been wearing the same "bridal dress" for about 60 years lol - although I don't think it was her original outfit), a small baby doll with the bisque head and papier mache body, and my old teddy bear my grandmother gave me when I was 4.

The bear is pretty fragile, so I need designs that don't stress her fur or stringing when I put them on or take them off. I couldn't find any patterns that'd actually work, but they give me ideas, and help me learn to shape armholes and necklines etc -

I've done 3 dresses, pics below (I hope) - the red one was my first attempt - it turned out to be just kind of a big red bag with glitter, but it was passable as a Christmas dress. Fortunately, they're in a little cabinet with glass doors, so nobody can see much detail Thanks for looking it's really fun to have someone to share knitting with!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 3.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	55743  Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 4.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	55744  Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 5.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	55745  

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,045 Times in 2,557 Posts
They are all adorable! Sounds like you'll be making your own patterns, I wouldn't have a clue where to find any. You're off to a great start. Enjoy creating your own designs!

Hopefully someone can help you track down some patterns to work from. Starting toally from scratch is so hard.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
dreamsherl
Turning the Heel

Cute

dreamsherl
dreamsherl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,333 Times in 3,018 Posts
All three are adorable and they look perfect on the teddy bear. I can't wait to see what you make for the dolls.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:13 AM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
Oh they look fabulous! Great job!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
Antares
Working the Gusset

How cute! Glad to hear you were able to create your own designs and get ideas from some patterns you found. All of your creations turned out great!

It sounds like you're having a good time with this, too! We certainly like looking at finished objects, so please post more when you can.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
All three are adorable and they look perfect on the teddy bear. I can't wait to see what you make for the dolls.
Thanks! I've started a skirt for the 18" doll and have a basic idea for the top, but this whole thing could go terribly wrong, lol. I HAVE to make her something, because when I dug these dolls out of storage about 8 years ago I had her restrung, and since her white wedding dress was more like grey, I washed it. I also shrank it. So, it doesn't do up at the back - a little tacky, for a bride
Old 02-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Oh they look fabulous! Great job!
Thanks Jan. AFTER I posted that I read the guidelines for posting on What'cha Knittin'. Sorry - trust me, to do it backwards lol.

Now I know I should've included yarn info - I used Bernat's Happy Holidays, a #4 yarn for the red dress, and their Baby Jacquard, a #3, for the other two.

Discovering how to reduce photo sizes was a great bonus - always a good thing to learn something new. I just used my mail and photo programs - easy once I played around with it a bit - I use a mac, don't know if it'd work on a pc or not.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
How cute! Glad to hear you were able to create your own designs and get ideas from some patterns you found. All of your creations turned out great!

It sounds like you're having a good time with this, too! We certainly like looking at finished objects, so please post more when you can.
Thanks! I love looking at what other people choose to knit, too. I'm usually so envious of their ability, and sometimes I have no clue what they're talking about.

I don't get a lot of hobby time, so haven't been on here much since I joined - trying harder to fit in more now. I guess everybody has to fight for their free time - years ago, when I worked, I'd knit on my lunch hour and breaks. Now I'm "retired" ha ha, there's no lunch hour - and I don't hear anybody saying, "It's time for your break!"
Old 02-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
They are all adorable! Sounds like you'll be making your own patterns, I wouldn't have a clue where to find any. You're off to a great start. Enjoy creating your own designs!

Hopefully someone can help you track down some patterns to work from. Starting toally from scratch is so hard.
Thanks! Yes, making my own patterns - I start with a basic idea of what I want then figure out the rest as I go. Definitely running before I learn to crawl, but I couldn't see another way.

I need to learn more about knitting, and that's where a pattern would help I guess -

As far as it being hard to start from scratch - well, it isn't like a garment for a person - you wouldn't believe how much you can cheat on doll clothes.