Old 03-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
Olha
Turning the Heel

FO: Still knitting socks... and baby hats.
Just saying hello, ladies (and occasional gentelmen). I finished the last (red) pair and donated all of them to the shelter. Ran out of yarn and needed only 10 g, and a kind soul from the neighboring province sent me the whole skein! So I have to make one more.

I am also working on my website that will hopefully turn into a community blog. Have you ever read something like that? I know Bernat blog has many contributors... did you see any charity related community blogs?

Also, I am trying to rewrite a pattern for a newborn hat for the local hospital. The original pattern is for fine#1 (sock/fingering), and I am playing with more common 'baby' DK weight. As we got more info as to how these hats are used, we need to adjust our knitting.

This is the metamorphosis (sorry for picture quality, there are just for record keeping). The new lilac hat needs tighter ribbing, so I am working on the second one using 2 pairs of needles.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
JudyD
Turning the Heel

Beautiful socks and hats!

Do I recognize Prym/Inox/Aero needles? Some of my favorite needles! Last ones I ordered as Aero came in a combination of the three. The retailer actually apologized for the difference...no problem as I have all three and love them. Started buying them years and years ago when Bernat carried them.

Judy
JudyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Antares
Working the Gusset

Great looking hats and socks! You've been busy lately--unlike me. Spring is in the air here, and when that happens I want to be outside gardening or kayaking or fishing or . . . . something (but not knitting).

I think your idea for your blog will be lots of fun. I've never heard of another similar kind of blog, but there may very well be one out there. OR you could be a pioneer in this area!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
Olha
Turning the Heel

Thanks! No, those needles -- don't laugh - are of unknown origin from the needle library that our knitting group has. But they look different in the direct sunlight on the picture -- nice and shiny -- in reality they they are painted light grey.

Last edited by Olha : 03-01-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Olha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Olha
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
Spring is in the air here...
Well, it's -7 C here and it was snowing yesterday. So, no gardening for me I am afraid

As for the blog, it's really hard to write a charity related knitting blog that is not self-aggrandising self-advertising I think people do get inspired when they read about other do-gooders but only if it's written by someone else. Or if it's a collection of blog posts from different people. I solicited a very interesting person to post -- and she is being interviewed by the local newspaper about the same thing today... So maybe others will write about their charitable efforts or do some kind of interview... Because the list of things that can be donated around the town (the original purpose), no matter how well researched and explained, is not endless.

(sorry, got carried away a bit).
Old 03-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,506 Times in 3,180 Posts
Beautifully knit socks and hats. I'm sure they will be much appreciated, especially with your cold temps. It's a wonderful idea to have patterns for baby hats available for different sizes and different yarn weights and it's good of you to figure this out.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
Olha (03-01-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Wonderful socks and hats!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
Olha (03-04-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
offgridgirl
Knitting the Flap

Nicely done!! I know the last day of winter and it's snowing here
as well. I did get some gardening done on the week-end and have covered the transplants....ugh...where's spring??
Old 03-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,805 Times in 7,164 Posts
Could have sworn I'd replied this... Anyway, they look awesome! You're on a roll!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
Olha
Turning the Heel

Thanks! I know, it happens to me all the time. I look at something and think 'how cool' and then kids scream and...

By the way, I am testing three patterns on Ravelry now, finally took the plunge It was super scary to post first but it's exciting too.

And I am working on the forth now, and you will be the first to see a new crazy purple hat I thought about asking all of you in the General Knitting forum if you are in a Free Pattern Testers Group on Ravelry... just cause I know you and you are sweet and won't bite But then I decided to let you know about the correct patterns instead (see above: 'you are sweet' part).

They will be released for free anyway to raise awareness and I plan to post in Charity Knitting together with local programs info, free patterns, and other relevant info.