Old 03-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
pxandra
Casting On

Please help with slippers pattern!
HI Everyone! Thanks so much for taking the time to read this. I've been trying to knit a pair of slippers from a great free pattern I found in Ravelry. I have been getting stuck at the same place a couple of times and I just can't figure out what the pattern is trying to get me to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's part of the pattern. I've highlighted the areas I'm having problems with.

Purl row: Purl 25 stitches; switch to another needle (reserve needle), purl 2 stitches, knit 6 stitches, purl 2 stitches; switch back to original needle, purl 25 stitches. Break yarn.

Bottom of Slipper:
Position stitches so that nothing is twisted, the top of the slipper is facing down, and the purl bumps from the last row are facing out. Starting at the back of the slipper (openend), move three stitches from the right-hand needle to the left-hand needle. Join new
yarn, knit 6 stitches. Turn, knit 7 stitches. Turn, knit 8 stitches. Turn.
Knit 7 stitches, ssk, turn.
Knit 7 stitches, k2t, turn.
Repeat these two rows until there are 40 stitches total. Knit 9 stitches, turn. Knit 10 stitches, turn.

Continue decreases as before, with two more stitches to knit, (Knit 9 stitches, ssk, turn.Knit 9 stitches, k2t, turn.) until you have 20 stitches total. There should be 10 stitcheson the needle on reserve and another 10 stitches on the working needle. You will be
moving stitches from your reserve needle onto the working needle as you continue to decrease.
k1, k2t, k6, k2t, turn.
k1, k2t, k5, k2t, turn.
k1, k2t, k4, k2t, turn.
k1, k2t, k3, k2t, turn.

You should now have two sets of six stitches.

The first question I have is: Does the 40 stitches stated above include the stitches in the reserve needle?
Secondly: At which point during the k1,k2t,k6,k2t,turn do I move a stitch from the reserve needle?

Thanks so much everyone!!
pxandra is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,329 Times in 3,014 Posts
"Purl row: Purl 25 stitches; switch to another needle (reserve needle), purl 2 stitches, knit 6 stitches, purl 2 stitches; switch back to original needle, purl 25 stitches. Break yarn."
It's a little difficult to tell where you are in the pattern but it sounds like you're putting the center 10sts onto another needle (could be a dpn, perhaps) to be worked later. Do you have a link to the pattern or a pattern name?

"**
Knit 7 stitches, ssk, turn.
Knit 7 stitches, k2t, turn.
**"
Repeat these two rows until there are 40 stitches total. "
These two rows decrease one st each. Work the 7sts, turn as you normally would at the end of the row and knit back for 7sts, turn again and knit 7sts. Continue like this until there are 40sts total. Sounds like shaping the heel perhaps?

"Continue decreases as before, with two more stitches to knit, (Knit 9 stitches, ssk, turn.Knit 9 stitches, k2t, turn.) until you have 20 stitches total. There should be 10 stitcheson the needle on reserve and another 10 stitches on the working needle. You will be
moving stitches from your reserve needle onto the working needle as you continue to decrease.
k1, k2t, k6, k2t, turn.
k1, k2t, k5, k2t, turn.
k1, k2t, k4, k2t, turn.
k1, k2t, k3, k2t, turn.

You should now have two sets of six stitches."
Ah, here's where you work with the sts on the reserve needle. I think you work across 9 of the sts and then knit the last st on the working needle together with one st from the reserve needle, then turn and work back on 10sts. Now turn again and knit to just before the last st on the working needle and then knit that last st together with one st from the reserve. Finally turn and work back as directed.

I'm not sure whether the total includes the 10 reserve sts. Probably not but it would help to see the pattern link. What is the name of the pattern?
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
pxandra
Casting On

Hi thanks so much for answering. The name of the pattern is short-row slipper by Lara Neel. Here is the link http://www.journalgazette.net/assets/pdf/JG71835426.PDF

Thanks again!
Old 03-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,329 Times in 3,014 Posts
Later in the pattern it says:
"Continue decreases ..until you have 20 stitches total. There should be 10 stitches on the needle on reserve and another 10 stitches on the working needle."
So it seems that when they say 20sts total, they clearly mean including the 10 reserve sts. I would apply this to the 40sts also: 10sts on the reserve needle and 30sts on the working needles. See if that makes sense. It wouldn't hurt to send an email to the designer too (or someone else on Rav who has made the slippers, just to be sure.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
pxandra
Casting On

Thanks so much for your. Help!!! I was finally able to make them.