Old 03-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Olha
Turning the Heel

FO: Not All Purple newborn hat -- thanks, Judy! :)
I probably bored you to death with my tiny hats but somehow I got completely stuck with them Technically, nobody compelled me to design a hat. The Period of Purple Crying program educates new parents about normal newborn crying to prevent Shaken Baby syndrome. So the hospital where the program is being rolled out just asked to make all baby hats in purple colour... and that's where my compulsion stems from.

So, do you think it's too cheesy to call a hat with the above purpose 'Not All Roses'? (The requirement for it to be at least 50% in purple/mauve colour, and DK or Sport weight as it's put on after the bath demonstration)

Also, I have another one for a boy, that is supposed to resemble a knight's helmet. It's really hard to find deep purple/grape colour in DK or sport weight around here (we might not be able to use worsted, if it's too heavy for indoor use). So I decided to make some kind of 'manly' hat that will look like armour even if it's lavander colour . The cheesy name for that one will be Little Knight I am working out some details still, will post it later here.

Please be brutal. I haven't posted it anywhere or showed it to anyone IRL yet.

Last edited by Olha : 03-06-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: gazilion typos. My Firefox stopped autoproofreading for some reason.
Olha is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
Antares
Working the Gusset

That's a truly adorable hat, Olha, and I think your idea for a name isn't too cheesy at all. In fact, it's perfect!

P.S. You and everyone else on this forum are what keeps us reading, so don't consider what you write as boring. After all, if you weren't regaling us with your tales and showing us lovely pictures, what would we read and look at on here?
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,773 Times in 7,140 Posts
That is beautiful, Olha! I don't think it's cheesy at all!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,687 Posts
You've made a really beautiful little hat. I'm not sure I understand the question, even after coffee I'm slow this a.m. Are the hats to be given to the new moms? That would be a beautiful reminder of what they've learned in the class. I say hat and name are winners. One of my babies got colic. It was hell.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Olha
Turning the Heel

Thank you, all! Yes, these hats are given to parents by the hospital together with some educational materials and taken home.

I am honestly asking if the expression is fitting because I haven't heard it that often to make an opinion if it feels right, you know? I just know what it means but nobody goes around telling me that 'this baby is not all roses' or 'being a parent is not all roses' So I am just checking with you before I bring it to the hospital (post it on Ravelry and my charity blog) and they all laugh at me
Old 03-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,687 Posts
I'm awful at slogans, etc., so I don't know. Guess I thought the name was already chosen by the hospital. I do wonder why they picked The Period of Purple Crying. That doesn't mean much to me, I love purple and have pleasant associations to it. Sorry, guess I'm no help. I still think the hat is wonderful.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Olha (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
Olha
Turning the Heel

I guess the connotation is the face colour when the baby screams... but they also made an acronym PURPLE to explain the type of cry. http://www.purplecrying.info/

I picked the name to convey a sort of positive/negative balance. Personally, I do find dark purple colour frightening So I am playing with other colour combinations/motifs to keep in line with the message but maybe 'lighten it up' a bit.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I've heard that something is "not a bed of roses" which is what you're trying to say in less words. I think the sentiment is perfect because it's so true. I'm not sure how it translates to a hat... they might see the flowers on it and think that the hat is not all roses which is also true.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 03-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
Olha
Turning the Heel

Thanks. I heard that one too, as well as 'it's not all hearts and roses'. But I looked it up and it seem to be right http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict.../not-all-roses
Old 03-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Interesting. In my head I "hear" the missing word, but I guess that is because that's the way I've heard it.

I don't think it's cheesy, I'm just not sure it would be understood they way you mean. Possibly with the info that goes along with it though it might make perfect sense to a new mother.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~