Old 04-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
sweetpea63
Casting On

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
Generally, you can categorize the two methods by how you hold the yarn--continental knitters hold it in their left hand and English knitters in their right. If you look at the how-to videos on this site, you'll see videos for both styles for just about everything. Here's one link to the knitting stitch help page: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knit-stitch. At the top is continental, and if you scroll down, you can see English.

By the way, while there are just a couple of ways to crochet (that I've seen), there are tons of ways to knit, and the way people hold the yarn, where they place the needles, and how they wrap the yarn varies from person to person and from country to country.

Whenever I taught my friend to knit, I taught her standard continental and encouraged her to learn the basics that way. But then I told her to explore other options until she found a method that was comfortable and fast for her.

And one further note: There's no "wrong way" to knit. All of your stitches may be twisted and someone may tell you that you're doing it wrong, but if YOU like how it looks, then it's not wrong. Just remember: There aren't any "knitting police"!
thank you
sweetpea63 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
debminerva
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
debminerva, how's the tension coming along? I expect it's getting somewhat easier for you. I really am curious about how it goes for a knitter learning to crochet, especially an English knitter, as it's opposite from me. I still can't knit English comfortably and purling English is worse. It seems to me that knitting English takes a different form of coordination that I just can't manage. I wonder if I have established "tracks" in my brain and it doesn't want to make new ones. Hopefully I'm not pre-fgrogging the sweater I'm working on... again.
I feel like I'm making progress with controlling the yarn. I am working on crocheting hats while I've got several knitting projects on my needles. Somehow, going between the two crafts helps me develop better hand skills. I'm not sure how to explain it. My favorite thing about crocheting is that when I make a mistake, I just frog back to a good spot and continue. In knitting, I can never frog correctly and always end up just ripping out the whole project.

I just finished a basic bucket hat in crochet and I'll start another one tonight. Practice, practice, practice.

My blogs: The Original Grumpbump and The Daily Delilah

I'm on Ravelry as: debminerva

debminerva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #13
Antares
Working the Gusset

It sounds like you're making progress--on all fronts. Since you have to keep a good tension for both knit and crochet, I'm not surprised that one craft is helping you master the other.

You might try periodically inserting lifelines in your knitting. Then you wouldn't have to frog the entire project when you make a mistake. Also, there are some videos on this site about how to fix mistakes, so you might take a look at those. And finally, I, too often have to frog a whole project in knitting if I mess up (when I'm not using a lifeline, that is). But I am getting slightly better at identifying screw-ups and correcting them.

And, yes, it's a whole lot simpler to fix mistakes in crochet, and I can always identify them, too. It's also easier to crochet in the round, but knitting has its own benefits!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote