Old 04-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
That's terrible that you can't get what he needs. It seems obvious those not even involved here that he has a bigger problem than just snoring.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
Antares
Working the Gusset

Okay maybe I'm a dunce, but your health and your husband's health should be something you have control over. So if one doctor doesn't help you or won't refer you, then find another one--in fact, keep looking until you find someone who will help you.

Furthermore, if you think he needs the machine, and you can't pay for it up front, make monthly payments on it. If it's insurance that's keeping you from getting the machine, go around it. Look online for machines. Ask your doctor to get one for you. You can figure out how to pay for it without insurance!! Look on eBay and see if you can find a used one!!

I've heard that if you're dealing with a doctor who refuses to find problems/treatments, then you should have them sign a document saying such (that is, that they refused to help you).

This puts doctors over a barrel and makes them a little more eager to go the extra mile (since if something does go awry, you have a signed document that states they refused to find/treat the problem).
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:44 AM   #13
bambi
Working the Gusset

My husband was also very loud with his snoring. He had a severely deviated nasal septum. He has since had surgery to correct that and is much better. Not to say that he never snores but it is better.

Also, if your husband has a glass of wine or beer at night, have him skip that and see if it helps. Alcohol is notorious for relaxing the soft palate and worsening snoring. If he is overweight, he needs to lose wt. Side sleeping instead of back sleeping is also useful.

I would not recommend getting a used medical device on E-Bay and using it without a prescription. CPAP machines are not something to mess around with.

Congratulations on the new baby!

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Bambi-M

I'm Bambi-M on Ravelry
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #14
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Now that Bambi mentioned deviated septum I remember I had a friend with that and she also snored and had breathing issues at night. She got it fixed and now she's fine. Maybe check into that, too. An ENT would probably be the best one to check with.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by HandyFamily View Post
Year plugs?
Handy, this is EAR plugs. It's a small molded piece of plastic or rubber that you place in your ears so you can't hear sounds. It's mostly used in factories to protect a person from losing their hearing when noisy machines are running. Sometimes people put them in their ears if they have to sleep with a spouse that snores. But this lady can't use them because she has to be able to hear the toddler if she cries.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #16
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Thank you for all the suggestions - I am going to pursue getting him an appt at the other ENT clinic and ask specifically about the deviated septum. I have no problem fighting the MD's or the insurance company : ) I am not comfortable buying a CPAP machine on our own b/c I have no way of knowing that he needs it or if it is safe for him to use if he does not have apnea.
Bambi - I do think part of it is his fitness level and we have talked at length about that and he is working on that. He is not overweight, but he used to swim competatively and is no longer doing that and our dog passed away so he is not walking the block and running around in the yard like he did.
Oddly enough he had an appendectomy a few weeks ago and has barely snored since then....
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #17
Antares
Working the Gusset

What I meant was that if he NEEDS the machine but insurance or doctors won't allow him to have one, then you can go about finding one through unconventional means. And there are ways of getting used items checked out to make sure they work properly, so don't knock that avenue just yet!

Good luck with getting this fixed!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #18
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
What I meant was that if he NEEDS the machine but insurance or doctors won't allow him to have one, then you can go about finding one through unconventional means. And there are ways of getting used items checked out to make sure they work properly, so don't knock that avenue just yet!

Good luck with getting this fixed!
That's just it though. I agree with Vaknitter.. The doctors say her DH doesn't need one because according to them he doesn't have sleep apnea. Vaknitter isn't a doctor so getting a machine w/o the doctors approval isn't a good idea.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #19
bambi
Working the Gusset

I'm sure there may be a reason why the appy helped but I can't think of what that might be right now. Hope the ENT helps.

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Bambi-M

I'm Bambi-M on Ravelry
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #20
Antares
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
That's just it though. I agree with Vaknitter.. The doctors say her DH doesn't need one because according to them he doesn't have sleep apnea. Vaknitter isn't a doctor so getting a machine w/o the doctors approval isn't a good idea.
Okay! I'm not saying to get one if he DOES NOT need it. I never said that. But it sounds like ONE doctor says he doesn't need it. Second opinions and third opinions, though, are definitely worthwhile. So I say again, if it turns out that he DOES need it and can't get it because of doctors/insurance, then find a way to get it.

(Shesh! Why is this even being debated?)