Old 03-21-2012, 05:20 AM   #1
KnittingElf
Casting On

Age old knitting myth
I fell in love with knitting late last year, but due to school I haven't really been able to knit much. I have some time now, though, and just started my first afghan I was at lunch with my family the other day, and I was trying to hurry my family along because the knitting store closed at four. My brother looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Knitting is for OLD people!"

I actually have met many younger knitters since starting. Besides him acting like being older was a "bad" thing, he acted like I was some weird cat lady for wanting to knit. Well ha! I'm actually a dog lady so there

Honestly, though. Does this myth still exist widely? Ever have someone act like you're weird for knitting? He's lucky I didn't have my knitting needles with me is all I'm saying...
KnittingElf is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I think it's more that some people believe it, but isn't that universal any more. Your brother's probably just young and hasn't had a lot of experience out in the world yet. Next time he makes a comment, come back with "I have pointy sticks and know how to use them."

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

My son's girlfriend is around 20. I was thrilled to see her happily knitting away on a scarf. My son said he felt like he was sitting with old ladies, the two of us talking about knitting. I was delighted. I had a bunch of old knitting needles I had meant to give away to a thrift store. She got a big score. If my son doesn't like it, tough. Deal with it. He was happy to get the convertible mittens I made for him last winter. Yah, see. How do you think you got those mittens you love?
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Antares
Working the Gusset

If you really want to surprise your brother, tell him that knitting was an all male activity once upon a time.

Then, yeah, remind him that you have two weapons always at hand, so perhaps he should be nicer to you!

Oh, and you could show him the Super Mario Bros blanket created by Lawlren: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=108155, who is a young knitter as well!

Last edited by Antares : 03-21-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
TEMA (03-24-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,806 Times in 7,165 Posts
There will always be some people who think that. I'm 59 and my brother that I hadn't seen for awhile laughed when I told him I knit.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
ZoseyPosey
Ribbing the Cuff

I've gotten a divided reaction about knitting. My close friends have the "Oh, that's awesome! Can you knit me a [insert pattern here]?" reaction and then there is still the people that equate it with an "old person" activity. One friend actually felt a little sad for me and vowed to get me out of the house more to "rescue" me.

I don't talk to that person much anymore.
ZoseyPosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
KnittingElf
Casting On

Antares, I remember reading that in a knitting book my mom got me! I'll have to mention that to him next time I see him.

What gets me about the assumption is that it doesn't even make sense. You don't get to a certain age and automatically become a great knitter, lol. Obviously older people who are fabulous knitters most likely didn't just "start" knitting.

I have two friends who crochet quite a bit. They even crocheted their prom dresses, which is the most awesome thing I've ever seen. I'll have to show him my knitting needles and maybe he'll show more respect
KnittingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,262 Times in 2,754 Posts
Quote:
I'll have to show him my knitting needles and maybe he'll show more respect
You could tell him when he grows up you'll teach him to knit?
Crocheted prom dresses? Wow! sure beats duck tape.

Ageist/sexist/whatever assumptions really really really bug me.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #9
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

The last time my son pulled the Knitting is for old people routine, I had some knitting needles in my hand. I jokingly held the tips up in the air menacingly and said, Come here, honey. I've got something for you. Sit on it. He shut up.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:38 AM   #10
HandyFamily
Casting On

Originally Posted by KnittingElf View Post
I fell in love with knitting late last year, but due to school I haven't really been able to knit much. I have some time now, though, and just started my first afghan I was at lunch with my family the other day, and I was trying to hurry my family along because the knitting store closed at four. My brother looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Knitting is for OLD people!"

I actually have met many younger knitters since starting. Besides him acting like being older was a "bad" thing, he acted like I was some weird cat lady for wanting to knit. Well ha! I'm actually a dog lady so there

Honestly, though. Does this myth still exist widely? Ever have someone act like you're weird for knitting? He's lucky I didn't have my knitting needles with me is all I'm saying...
Come now. You won't let a brother tease you, will you? Brothers are supposed to try that - for any pretext they could find, that is what they are for (in childhood, at least). But you are supposed to smile at it, not let it get through you...

Find me at http://www.etsy.com/shop/HandyFamily?ref=si_shop for yarns and patterns, or at http://kikikati.snimka.bg/hobby/moi-...rbi.312695.all for pictures of my work.
HandyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote