Old 03-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
keepyourfork
Casting On

I think the Granny from Warner Bros. (the lady who owned Tweety) went a long way towards making people think knitting is for old people.
keepyourfork is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-24-2012, 12:45 AM   #12
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
I just met my new neighbor. She's probably not older than 25. She must be OK, she wants help improving her crochet and maybe learn to knit! She has a plarn rug she works on sometimes, she said. I think I won't tell her knitting (and crocheting) are for old people.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

I think the Granny from Warner Bros. (the lady who owned Tweety) went a long way towards making people think knitting is for old people.

That same image came to my mind too.

Remember as we grew into our teens and early 20's a lot of us though that our parents were stupid? The next time you hear the comment " knitting is for old people", make the statement, "That goes to prove that the older people aren't as dumb as we grew up believing." Something on that line.
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #14
Strooper1
Casting On

I'm a 25 year old guy. I recently fell in love with knitting. I think younger people are creating personalized and old school clothing again. I started knitting because I wanted a beanie in a certain color lol! I was shocked to find it was addictive and relaxing!
Old 04-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #15
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Hey, welcome to the subgroup of male knitters here! We have about 5 or 6 who post here regularly and I think there's a few more lurking in the corners.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Strooper1 (04-01-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #16
Strooper1
Casting On

Thanks Suzeeq! I'm glad to know I'm not the only guy on the threads! As for the age old knitting myth, it IS annoying. My sister is starting to call me by my Grandmothers name... But shes already making knitting requests! lol I guess I should learn how to properly read a pattern fast...
Old 04-02-2012, 03:09 AM   #17
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
Quote:
I'm a 25 year old guy. I recently fell in love with knitting. I think younger people are creating personalized and old school clothing again. I started knitting because I wanted a beanie in a certain color lol! I was shocked to find it was addictive and relaxing!
Hi and welcome to KH! I think it's so cool when guys aren't embarrassed to knit, crochet, sew, etc., etc. I hope you enjoy playing with strings and sticks as much as I do.

Do you have a beanie pattern? What color? Ravelry.com has more patterns than I could count and you just might find one there. You'll find lots of help here too.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #18
Antares
Working the Gusset

I think all this taunting from siblings is because they are jealous--and secretly amazed!

I imagine the first time your sibling is complimented for an object you've knit them, the taunting and teasing just might fade away to nary a peep!

Welcome to KH, Strooper1.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #19
KnittingElf
Casting On

Strooper, I likewise think it's awesome that you knit! As was said earlier, knitting used to be an all male practice at one point anyway.

I think you guys are right about the taunting from siblings. They are just jealous. In fact, my older sister has already found five (FIVE!) scarf patterns on ravelry for me to knit her, lol. She wants me to teach her and my niece this Summer. So now he'll be outnumbered!
KnittingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #20
Antares
Working the Gusset

Yes, out number him! That's the way to do it. Then show him some cool knitted hat or something and tell him if he's nice, you might make him one! Wait! Am I inciting jealousy? Oh, yes I am!!

Really, though, it's great that you have other relatives who want to learn knitting, too. There can't be enough knitters in the world--ever!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote