Old 03-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
knitter5
Casting On

Who enjoys doing tension squares
Reading some of your questions makes me feel a real novice as I am unable to assist with an answer to your Knitting problems.

I have a next project lined up, a classique cotton Dk stylecraft cardigan using cotton dk

I find it difficult to understand the tension squares to aid me in the future to get these correct and understand them better.
How big does each tension square need to be? bigger than 4inches/10cm so I can measure the square to 4inches?

The tension square for this cardigan pattern is 22sts and 28 rows to 10cm,4inches over stocking stitch pattern on 4mm needles or size required. 20sts and 30 rows to 10cm, 4 inches over pattern on 4 mm needles or size required to give the correct tension. Is this instructing me to do two tension test one in stocking stitch and one in pattern stitch. (the pattern stitch is k3 k2tog yfwd k1 sl k1 psso k7 rep to last 8 k2tog yfwd, k1, yfwd sl k1 psso k3) As the cardigan has these two in the design.

Thank you in advance
knitter5 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,684 Times in 3,350 Posts
I don't know if "enjoy" is the right word, but I do appreciate that a good-sized tension square is going to save me time and frustration later on.
You certainly should do the tension square in the pattern stitch with enough sts to give you at least the two repeats (30sts according to the line you've quoted). Yes, doing a square in stockinette is probably a good idea too, depending on how the pattern stitch and stockinette are distributed in the sweater.
You're correct that you need to knit more than the stitch number given for the tension so that you'll be able to measure over the middle 4 inches.
There a nice discussion of gauge here at the Free Videos tab under getting started.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit
What is the name of the pattern, just so we can see a photo to get an idea of the stitches?
Old 03-10-2015, 03:14 PM   #3
knitter5
Casting On

Thank you for your advice,
the pattern is 'Stylecraft a classique cotton dk cardigan'. code9131
I have looked at the video this looks helpful I could follow this once I have done my pattern and stocking stitch swatch. The stocking stitch is a repeat over 7 stitches then goes back into pattern.
It would be great if you had an idea of the stitches on the pattern.

Thank you for your help

Last edited by knitter5 : 03-10-2015 at 03:22 PM. Reason: added a code
Old 03-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,562 Times in 3,027 Posts
http://www.deramores.com/cardigans-i...cotton-dk-9131

To add a link you just need to copy/paste it in the box.

I can't see what the pattern stitches look like.

Cheating is an option. . . . Cheaters never win and winners never cheat, but smart knitters who want to retain an iota of sanity do, cheerfully. ~~Kory Stamper
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Very pretty. Yes, a little difficult to see the proportion of pattern stitch to stockinette but if you get gauge with the pattern stitch you should be fine. I'd still continue the swatch in stockinette just to check the tension there and see that's it's at least close.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #6
knitter5
Casting On

Thank you for copying/paste the pattern I'm doing it in long sleeve if you click on the green image you can see the detail a little better
Old 03-10-2015, 06:16 PM   #7
knitter5
Casting On

Salmonmac, thank you for your advice I have just finished the pattern swatch and will start the stocking stitch. It is late in the Uk now and I will soon be off to my bed.

If I hit any problems tomorrow I will let you know.
I think it is pretty too! hopefully I will have it finished before I go on my summer holidays I'll wear it with my dresses.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:16 PM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

That's a big help. Go with the tension on stockinette since that takes up most of the pattern.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:23 AM   #9
gramercy
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi, Knitter 5 - I thought you must be in the UK because you asked about tension squares - I'm a UK member too and sometimes have to translate!

After horrible mistakes in the distant past, I've always done tension squares, which was a godsend with the last sweater I knitted. I now have quite a collection and realise that they hold excellent records of past projects. I'm thinking of using crochet to make them into a memory quilt - when I get the time!
gramercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:39 AM   #10
knitter5
Casting On

Hi Gramercy,
yes I'm in the UK Scotland on the West coast. Moved here from the Lake District due to my husbands work 11yrs ago lovey house however some people are not friendly and I keep myself to myself.

Yes, people use different terms for knitting and it is sweet that we all sort of understand each other.

I think crochet your gauges or swatches together is a wonderful idea. I love quilting too.