Old 03-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,994 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBugAngel
The only thing though is that you only get two sets of each I think, and then if you have to knit something on dpn's your only option is to do the magic loop method I think?

If they were at Michaels they were probably Boye. I don't care for them myself because the cable is rather stiff, but some people don't seem to mind.

I'm not sure I understand this comment... Usually you get one set with interchangeables. Not sure what you mean about dpn though.
I'm sure I don't understand. The sets I'm aware of have one pair each of the different sizes. I have some Boye and Lion Brand fixed circs neither of which is my favorite thanks to the cord that has too much mind of its own. I guess if I wanted to use dpns I'd use dpns. I have some and could get more in different sizes.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-26-2012, 01:16 AM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
For circular knitting you could knit with DPN, magic loop or 2 circulars although the last option would require 2 sets of needles of one size. If you get the Boye my choice would be DPN. The cables are too stiff for comfortable ML. Again that's just my opinion.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Some knitters put their circulars in ziplock bags, punch a hole in the bag, and keep them all together in a ring binder notebook. They say Necessity is the mother of invention. Design your own case. Give it as many slots for your needles as you want. These are made like a rectangle. Needles are put in, and you roll it up then tie it together. I believe these are called needle rolls. You might be able to find patterns for these online.

http://www.planetshoup.com/easy/knit/rollndl.shtml
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatoldladyinpjs For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (03-26-2012), justplaincharlotte (04-01-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #14
Antares
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
Some knitters put their circulars in ziplock bags, punch a hole in the bag, and keep them all together in a ring binder notebook. They say Necessity is the mother of invention. Design your own case. Give it as many slots for your needles as you want. These are made like a rectangle. Needles are put in, and you roll it up then tie it together. I believe these are called needle rolls. You might be able to find patterns for these online.

http://www.planetshoup.com/easy/knit/rollndl.shtml
One note about the Ziplock bags, use freezer bags, or at the very least, bags that are fairly thick. The needles will poke through the plastic after a while, but, hey, at least they're fairly cheap to replace.

I created a crochet hook holder a few years ago using a zippered daytimer. Here's a link to that post (with pictures) and explanation: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...crochet+binder

I imagine you could modify a daytimer for use with knitting needles, too.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #15
dturner
Turning the Heel

i use a zippered three ring notebook with zippered pencil holders (the kind that go in a three ring binder). I put all the same size needles together in one pencil holder whether dpns, interchageable, etc. There are pockets, too, that will hold things such as row counters and stitch markers. Here's a llnk to a photo.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2581922...in/photostream
dturner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dturner For This Useful Post:
bambi (04-30-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #16
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

LBA -

I keep my straights and some of my DPN in a roll up canvas case that I found at Tuesday Mornings, a discount store carrying a little bit of everything. I may go back to see if I can grab another one for the rest of my DPN. I swear they multiply at night!

Have yet to find a suitable solution for my interchangeables, though Jan's(?) cases have been bookmarked as a possibility.

Good luck in your quest for the perfect case for you!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises."
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:02 AM   #17
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by LoveBugAngel View Post
The only thing though is that you only get two sets of each I think, and then if you have to knit something on dpn's your only option is to do the magic loop method I think?
Quote:
For circular knitting you could knit with 2 circulars although the last option would require 2 sets of needles of one size.
Yes when you buy interchangeables you only get two needles of each size, which can then be attached to either end of a cord (different lengths available). But, don't forget that you can always make two cable needles each with two different size needles on it (ex. US7 on one end and US 5 on the other). Then you use the larger needle (7) of one cable to knit (right hand) while working the stitches off the other cable's smaller end (5 in left hand) and just reverse the process when you work back on the opposite side. It is the interchageable way of knitting with two cable needles (rather than actually having two cable needles each with US 7 on both ends).
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #18
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

It also helps to hold straight needle pairs and double point sets together with rubber bands. You can write the size of the double points on a small piece of paper and rubber band that with the needles. This would prevent your having to hunt for pairs each time. You can buy knitting gauges with holes in them to find out what size needles you have if you forget.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #19
redbedhead
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by LoveBugAngel View Post
How do you store all your needles and other materials??? I have my needles in a shoe box but it is NOT helpful. I would love something that has the needle size on the pockets so that if I need size 4mm I don't have to search, I know that, that pocket is holding my 4mm's. Suggestions?
I had that problem too. I inherited a PAPER CASE box full of knitting needles, which was a HUGE mess.

I finally bought an over the door shoe bag and hung it on the ack of my bedroom door. I labeled each pocket (using a Metallic silver Sharpie since the shoe bag itself was black) with needle sizes and sorted the straight needles into those pockets, 1 size per pocket until I got to the LARGE needles which are all in one pocket (17, 19, and 50). I also made a Single pocket for the few DPNs I have, and rubberbanded a lable to each set before putting them in the pocket. Then I grouped the circular needles into 5 main size groups and sorted them into 4 pockets, labled circular size 1-2, 3-4, 5-8, 9-11, and 15 and larger. I also labled a few pockets for stitch holders, crochet hooks, and accessories. Finally, I dedicated the top drawer of my 4 drawer cabinet to my interchangable sets (I have 2 different brands of interchangables) and hairpin lace looms.

I still have to check sizes and cord length when I want a fixed Circular, but at least I do not have to look at ALL of them, and everything is contained, neat, and out of sight.

Last edited by redbedhead : 03-27-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: add spacing for better readability and spelling error
redbedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #20
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

I inherited a sewing/knitting cabinet from my grandparents and that's where I keep all my supplies! It has 3 drawers in the middle and a storage section on both ends where I keep all my needles.

Don't know what I'd do without it!!!
knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote